3. Viking Sea
We chose Viking because of their great ratings, itinerary, included excursions, no formal nights/more relaxed atmosphere, and spacious cabins. This was my first cruise and I enjoyed it very much except for a few issues. The food was great, the service excellent, and the itinerary fantastic. I loved the crew who were all wonderful. There was so much to do, i.e., entertainment, talks, sightseeing, that I really didn't spend much time just relaxing which I had expected to do more. There were a couple of issues that hurt the cruise in my view. First, when we arrived, the Viking people were great and helpful, but our group waited outside in the heat for an hour for our bus to show up. There was a tent set up for our check-in and all the luggage sat outside in the street and heat for hours. I know this because I didn't receive my bag until that night (we had access to our cabin by 1:00 p.m.) and something I had inside was melted. ALSO, during the final night our cabin temperature got so hot we could not sleep. We had expected two days in Bergen but we only got one because we had to leave the ship the last day around 3:45 a.m. to catch a 6:00 a.m. flight, which was booked by Viking. (Take note that everyone had to leave the ship by 9:00 a.m. the last day so you really don't get two days at the end of the cruise.) Our flight going over was good, one overnight flight to London. The flights back were horrible: Bergen to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Paris (several hour delay), and Paris to home. By the time I arrived at our house, I was extremely ill and was sick for weeks with some virus. If we cruise again, we will make our own travel arrangements or pay extra to work with the travel agent. I recommend going a day or so early to get over the jet lag. Overall, it was a wonderful first cruise for me but the final day and flights home really hurt my memory of the trip.

Fantastic and Not So Fantastic

Viking Sea Cruise Review by VP-19

VP-19’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Sea price drops

The cabin was great except for the last night. It was nice to have a refrigerator except it was configured for their snacks which were disappointing. It was stocked once a day with sodas, which we do not drink and could not get what we wanted to drink instead because the choices were extremely limited, and 3 tiny candies plus 2 nut-type snack bags. There wasn't much room to place things we purchased in it. Okay, it wasn't a big deal. The big PROBLEM was the last night in our cabin because it got so hot and that we could not sleep. We opened the glass doors to try and cool it off. The bathroom floor was too hot and uncomfortable to walk on which we think was the cause of the heat in the cabin.