3. Norwegian Getaway
The Getaway is a fun ship to be on geared at a younger crowd than some ships. The water slides, ropes course, and climbing wall were great fun for the adventurous at heart. There were lots of opportunities to dance which were great. The crew and officers were very friendly and a pleasure to be around. The food was very good and the service was excellent. I was traveling with my parents and we had a medical emergency on board the ship on Thursday evening where my mother started bleeding in the shower and lost over a pint of blood. My dad called 911 and they sent a doctor and nurse to care for her. She was taken to the medical area where they stopped the bleeding and monitored her health over night. The doctor insisted that she go to the hospital the next morning when we arrived in Cozumel because they didn't have any of her blood type on board. This meant that both of my parents had to disembark the ship in Cozumel and were only allowed to bring one small suitcase between the two of them in the ambulance. This event changed the whole cruise for me. The hospital in Cozumel checked her out and released her in the morning. They cleared her to fly but not to sail so the cruise line would not let them back on the ship. I stayed with the ship and managed the remainder of their luggage. I was able to communicate with them thru the ships WiFi network and learned of her condition, but was disappointed they were not allowed to complete the cruise. They stayed in a hotel in Cozumel for 2 nights and flew to Miami on Sunday afternoon. We enjoyed the free style dining where you didn't have a set time to eat dinner every day. The main dining rooms served great food in a nice atmosphere but the premium restaurants changed too much with everything a la carte (ie. pay full price for a steak, but salad is extra, and so is a potato, etc.). Other ships I've been on serve lobster on the formal second to last night but I didn't see that on the menu, so maybe that was only available in premium restaurants. Besides the cafeteria there are 4 free restaurants on the ship where they wait on you, and the service was great. You don't need to go to the premium restaurants to get good food in a nice atmosphere. The food in the cafeteria was also very good and you could get as much food as you wanted most of the day, but it was closed at certain times. They also get you for beverages on the ship. Only water, fruit juice, coffee, lemonade, and ice tea are free. Sodas are $3/can, wine starts around $30/bottle, and cocktails are ~$15 each. Some cruise lines invite you to bring your own sodas, but not NCL. I attempted to bring a six pack of Coke bottles on board, but it was taken away at the security check point in the terminal. Just around the corner there is a vending machine where they sell they exact thing they took away. If you like wine you may want to consider bringing your own wine and paying the corkage fees. One thing that was a little disappointing about the ship is the main theater. I would rather it occupy 3 decks with entrances on 2 decks and a balcony, creating more seating and allowing for acrobatics like on some other ships. The acrobatic performances on other ships were a highlight of the entertainment and noticeably missing from the Getaway. They have 2 great performance acts on the ship, a Latin dance group called "Burn the Floor" and a '50s style rock group called the "Million Dollar Quartet". They also have comedians, dueling pianists, and another band that performed in other venues on the ship. The first night they had a welcome aboard show and the last night they had a farewell show, with 1 comedy night. They had their 2 main entertainment groups perform the same shows on back to back nights. We didn't know that and watched the Burn the Floor show on two successive nights, thinking it was going to be a different show on the second day. It was still just as good the second time, but not what was expected. On the departure day there is a mandatory safety drill but the execution of the drill was very chaotic. They had tons of people stuffed into a small area where we were standing shoulder to shoulder. It was hot in their with no air flow. We were told to just stand there and be quiet while we waited some time for them to start the presentation. There were announcements made over the the PA system but they were hard to understand. The cruise line should improve the process for how they execute this mandatory drill. The Getaway is a really big ship that holds over 4000 guests so there are lots of options for things to do, but the most popular things, like the hot tubs were always full. It was also very difficult to find a lounge chair during the days at sea. Most of the chairs had towels on them but nobody sitting on them. The cabin was very nice and the housekeeper was very friendly and helpful. He took good care of us and everyday left a towel folded into a different animal which was very cute. In Roatan we went to Maya Key which was a nice place to spend the day. The replica Mayan ruins were very interesting. There are lots of animals on the island and an opportunity to go into a monkey cage where they monkeys climb on you. The snorkeling was great here with lots of colorful fish and coral in warm tropical clear water. In Belize we went on the spice farm tour. The farm was very interesting to see how they grow many different types of spices. The tour guides were very friendly and picked many of the plants and spices so we could smell and touch them. To get there you go on a 30 minute boat ride, followed by a 1 hour bus ride, each way. After the tour around the spice farm they only gave us a few minutes to get lunch and then rushed us back onto the bus where we could eat in our laps, but it was kind of messy food to eat in our laps. There was plenty of time after we got back so they could have given us more time to eat. In Costa Maya we didn't go on a shore excursion, but took a tram to a local beach which was nice. In Cozumel I took the Atlantis Submarine tour in the morning. It takes you into the underwater Cozumel national park conservation area and goes down to 100 feet. This tour allows anyone to go underwater to see the coral, fish, and other marine life in Cozumel. They have cards so you can identify the species of fish you see. In Cozumel I went Scuba diving in the afternoon on the Captains choice 2 tank dive tour. This was the best Scuba diving I have ever done! There is so much marine life to see including many types of coral, fish, eels, sharks, stingrays, and more. The water is very warm and with the current you don't need to swim much, you just float by all the interesting sea life. I've wanted to go diving in Cozumel for over 20 years and finally had the chance. It was amazing! Overall it was a great cruise! The ship is beautiful and they have something for everybody on board. The atmosphere of the ship is fun and a continuous party. I met some really nice people on the ship and enjoyed the cruise, despite the areas where they could improve as described above. The service was excellent and it felt really good to be waited on continuously. Everything was going so well until the medical emergency that resulted in my traveling companions being removed from the ship, but I made the most of the last 2 days of the trip despite what happened.

Great Cruise with lots of fun things to do. Good food, great service!

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by wayork

• Sail Date: January 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony Stateroom

wayork’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BA 11190
The cabin was very nice and the housekeeper was very friendly and helpful. He took good care of us and everyday left a towel folded into a different animal which was very cute. The bed was comfortable but the couch was kind of hard. I slept on the couch the first 5 nights and the bed the last 2 nights, after my parents were removed from the ship in Cozumel due to a medical issue.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins