3. Emerald Princess
We have never been to Hawaii and thought this would be a great 2 weeks away from New York in January. Even though the weather was great (perfect in Hawaii) we just wanted to get off the ship and eat some decent food. Starting with the cabin, the day we boarded and started putting clothes on shelves and moving clothes from one shelf location to another we noticed a lot of dust on our clothes. Closer inspection revealed that the shelves and flat surfaces were covered with dust. My wife and I had to clean all of them before unpacking. Next was the shower. I didn't notice the first night because I didn't use the shower until the second day. The soap shelf was caked with old soap residue that was brown. It was disgusting. I asked the room steward to come in and clean the shower. She blamed the previous crew ands isn't speak much after that. The bed clothes were never changed. On the first morning my wife accidentally spilled some cereal on the sheet near the pillow. The same spill mark was there the whole 15 days. I complained to the front desk and was assured someone would contact me but that never happened. When I went down a few days later I was told that they spoke to our cabin stewards supervisor. Deplorable. Next is the food. The buffet had an underwhelming selection of food and sometimes we just walked away and went to Giovanni's Pizza. The Pizza was always good, always fresh. The milk was luke warm most everyday and I had a suspicion that it was powdered milk. The orange juice seemed like it was from concentrate with lots of sugar. It was also usually just cool. We almost always had to ask for ice. The Botticelli dining room was mediocre at best and nothing stood out as exceptional. I ordered a strawberry sundae for desert and there were no strawberries. Just juice. We enjoyed the company at the table but always left feeling disappointed about our meal. One night we decided to try the Crown Grill. As far as steaks go it was ok. Not great. Another night we tried Share from Curtis Stone. It was the best food on the ship. The pizza came in second. On a couple of days we ordered room service hamburgers which were ok. Again, not great. Our days in port were fantastic and we did our own excursions. On board entertainment was not special. There were a few decent acts but overall nothing we wanted to sit through. The crew was friendly. We first sailed with Princess back in 2008 to Alaska on the Dawn Princess. That one set the standard for us and everything was great. The food, the cabin, the dining, it was all fantastic. So either Princess has lowered the standard and is maximizing profit by way of offering substandard food or there is a wide difference from ship to ship. And it wasn't just us. Lot's of people felt the same way. Our next cruise is on the maiden voyage of Sky Princess in October. We are having second thoughts but we would expect the new ship to start off with a good impression. We will see.

Hawaii was great! On board.....not so much.

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by Morpheus23

• Sail Date: January 2019
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Interior

Morpheus23’s Full Rating Summary
Get Emerald Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin IA A344
The day we boarded and started putting clothes on shelves and moving clothes from one shelf location to another we noticed a lot of dust on our clothes. Closer inspection revealed that the shelves and flat surfaces were covered with dust. My wife and I had to clean all of them before unpacking. Next was the shower. I didn't notice the first night because I didn't use the shower until the second day. The soap shelf was caked with old soap residue that was brown. It was disgusting. I asked the room steward to come in and clean the shower. She blamed the previous crew ands isn't speak much after that. The bed clothes were never changed. On the first morning my wife accidentally spilled some cereal on the sheet near the pillow. The same spill mark was there the whole 15 days. I complained to the front desk and was assured someone would contact me but that never happened. When I went down a few days later I was told that they spoke to our cabin stewards supervisor. Deplorable.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins