3. Insignia
Firstly I'd like to note I have cruised over 25 times and have never written a review or written to a cruise company with a complaint. However this cruise did not deliver on many aspects of what was offered. This cruise was advertised as 'Falls Splendour'. Sadly it had no splendour and we didn't see any of the fantastic autumn colours which we expected in Canada in October. When the cruise was booked it featured 8 ports of call, but after booking one port of call was cancelled,and another 3 ports of call were cancelled whist on the cruise. The first two days of the cruise went to plan. Then the following 8 days were far from what Oceania had stated it would deliver. We endured circling around in very rough seas on the planned port day of Halifax. Apparently this was because the ship needed to bunker for fuel but could not enter harbour. Many passengers were very ill and glasses in the restaurant and coffee cups in the cafe were flying off surfaces and shattering. It was 10 o'clock on a Sunday night when we finally were able to get off the ship in Halifax. There were no Oceania staff around to give any information so after 10 minutes on dry land, and nowhere to go at that time of night we got back on board. The gangway had many kitchen staff carrying supplies onto the ship who just continued whist we were trying to use the gangway. An health and safety issue. We asked at reception if the decks were open after being closed all day because of rough seas. The only person at reception said he didn't know and there was no-one to ask! The notices informing that the decks were closed were still in place even though the ship was in port. This seemed like a further examples of poor communication and a lack of priority given to customer service. We experienced water seeping into our cabin on two occasions during the cruise and cabin staff just placed rows of towels to soak up the water. No maintenance staff came to seal up the problem, even though I asked the cabin steward The outside pool was drained overnight before our planned port of call in Halifax and on the next day instead of being refilled a maintenance team was busy repainting the pool. When I enquired as to why this work was been carried out on a lovely calm day when I wanted to swim, and when the ship was going in for a total refit two weeks later, I was given a feeble reason that was a good day to do this work. No regard for passengers like me who wanted to swim. The room service was hit and miss. On the third day the breakfast arrived with no knife and fork to eat my eggs. The same day our lunch order was 'lost' which meant a wait of 40 minutes for our main courses. That night we decided to try the new restaurant room service that Oceania were introducing on this cruise. After calls to room service, reception and the concierge desk no one on the ship knew anything about this new service! I spoke to the hotel manager and he also was surprised to hear about this and took a copy of the paperwork I had showing the new benefits for concierge passengers on this cruise. The Captain was not to be seen at any point throughout the cruise and refused to meet with passengers to explain why we had so many ports of call cancelled. I emailed Oceania on my return and received an email in reply that did not answer any of my questions. It appeared to be an email that had been sent to another passenger then sent on to me. I replied and received an automatic reply stating I would receive a reply within 28 days. No reply was received and when chased up Oceania claimed that the second email had not been received, which of course was not true as I had the automatic confirmation. After 50 days I received an email that still did not address any of my questions and offering £300 each off a further cruise, even though I had made it very clear that I would never book another Oceania cruise. A phone call to the sender of the emails explaining that I did not want money off a future cruise but I wanted the payment in a cash refund/compensation resulted in an email stating that this was not possible. The atmosphere on this cruise was one of very unhappy passengers who felt the Oceania were totally dismissive of their comments and complaints. The same is true of customer services in Southampton. Oceania claims to be a luxury brand ...in my opinion, comparing this cruise experience with others, this cruise and customer care was far from this!.

Not the cruise advertised!

Insignia Cruise Review by super-cruiser

• Sail Date: October 2018
  • Destination: USA

The same is true of customer services in Southampton.

super-cruiser’s Full Rating Summary