3. Norwegian Star
I went on this cruise with my parents because my dad had wanted to go through the Panama Canal. I enjoyed the Panama Canal and Costa Rica the best. We didn’t get off the ship in Nicaragua because it was very windy that day and we needed to use tenders to go go ashore, also there weren’t any excursions we were interested in. If it were up to me, 8 would rather have had 2 days in Costa Rica and skip Nicaragua all together. I was also not impressed with Acapulco - the Cliff divers were ok but not as spectacular as I expected. 14 days was the most we had ever been on a ship and it was about 3 days too long. I could also skip Colombia - it’s a big city with lots of hotels and shopping. Except I did really like the Eco Park right next to the ship dock - that was the highlight for me! The specialty restaurants are small and fill up quickly so make your reservations early. We had the dining package but only used 2 of the 4 dinners because we couldn’t get reservations. We ate at La Cucina and Moderno and both were good but our favorite restaurant ended up being Aqua. Great food, excellent service and nice atmosphere. We enjoyed the activities put on by the ship’s cruise director team were great! We liked Bingo, quiz shows, movie sketches, pool contests, really everything - they work really hard to keep you entertained and busy, especially on sea days and there are lots of sea days. The shows were also good - especially the production staff shows. On this trip we didn’t like the comedian, the magician or the hypnotist. While we would not do this cruise again, it’s a bit too long and once you’ve seen the Panama Canal you don’t really need to see it again. We do plan to sail with Norwegian again, we like the freestyle flexibility and the ships general approach works for us.

Panama Canal and Costa Rica were the best!

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Jjsingler

Jjsingler’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Star price drops

Family Inside
Cabin I1 9721
This is a typical small inside cabin. I was in it by myself but it can sleep up to 3 people. I can’t imagine 3 people in this cabin but it was fine for just one person. As with all inside cabins it’s like a cave, you don’t know if it’s light or dark or hot or cold outside unless you turn on the tv to check the bow cam! If you can afford a cabin with a balcony I would recommend that over this cabin.......

Also - I was able to see inside the handicap inside cabin, it was much larger than mine. I am not disabled but would check into this option if I had to take an inside cabin again.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Quebrada Cliff Divers
    We did the bay cruise with the cliff divers. The boat was not clean and not new, we sat on metal folding chairs. The tour guide was good - he talked about the houses build on the cliffs b6 various celebrities - the Cliff divers were not as impressive as I expected them to be and we were far away. This is not a port I would be interested in again.
    View All 21 Quebrada Cliff Divers Reviews
  • Whale Watching
    Nice trip, boat was not too crowded and service by the staff was great, free drinks the whole time and snacks. We followed 3 whales for about an hour - it was great! Would definitely do this again!
    View All 74 Whale Watching Reviews
  • Cartagena (Colombia)
    This was a party bus as promised with rum and coke and beer provided. We saw highlights of the city but did not stay long at any place and mostly drove around. I wished instead we did the catamaran to the old city. The Eco Park located next to the ship dock is fantastic and you should definitely visit. They have flamingos and lots of very tame parrots that will sit on your arm or shoulder. Cartagena is a large city with many high rise hotels and a large industrial port. It’s not a place I would visit again except for the eco park.
    View All 12,961 Cartagena (Colombia) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cartagena (Colombia) Cruise Port Review
  • Puerto Quetzal (Antigua)
    We went on the ship excursion to the safari drive through animal park. It took about an hour to get there and the tour guide did a nice job telling us about Guatemala history, government, economy and volcanoes. The safari park was ok - the bus drove through the park and there were also other buses and cars. Poor animals are breathing in exhaust fumes all day. The highlight was seeing 3 lion cubs who were only 3 months old. They were in a separate enclosure and we could almost reachout and touch them. I could have watched them all day!
    View All 299 Puerto Quetzal (Antigua) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Puerto Quetzal (Antigua) Cruise Port Review
  • Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera)
    The sanctuary was fine and the tour guide was very good telling us about Costa Rica’s history, economy, politics, biodiversity, etc. I enjoyed the scenery in Costa Rica and wished we had more time in this port - other travelers told us they enjoyed the rain forest tour and the botanical garden. Would probably do that instead of the jaguar and macaw sanctuary. I would go to this port again - there is so much to see and do!
    View All 12,961 Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera) Cruise Port Review
  • San Juan del Sur
    We did not get off the ship in this port - we were not impressed by any of the excursions and you have to tender into the dock. It was very windy when we were there and the tenders were rocking and rolling. We went to the spa on the ship instead.
    View All 90 San Juan del Sur Cruise Port Reviews