3. Silver Cloud Expedition
My wife and I booked this cruise believing it was going to be an active, challenging experience with the added bonus of visiting new areas that would otherwise be difficult to reach. Such as Sable Island. In anticipation we went out and spent a great deal of money purchasing the recommended clothing, insulated boots, and other supplied suggested by Silversea. WHAT A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!! We feel like we were conned into a cruise run by people that were completely incompetent and inexperienced in this type of cruise. We have been on many Silversea ships and have generally been satisfied but this was outrageous. First, many significant experiences were cancelled because of "rough seas" making it impossible for the zodiacs to land. Not true. We were denied the opportunity of landing on Sable Island in perfectly acceptable seas because of the evident inexperience of the expedition staff. There were a significant number of older passengers and many had disabilities. Instead of doing what other expeditions cruise lines do, which is only allow people capable of landing in somewhat rough seas to get off the zodiac, this expedition staff decided that no-one would land. The zodiacs were turned into the equivalent of tenders and only in relatively calm waters. Other landings that could have been easily accommodated were cancelled completely for the same reason. The kayak staff were even worse than the expedition staff. At evening lectures we were warned not to kayak unless we were prepared to be clad in full body suits and were capable of both being uncomfortable for several hours and also capable of not having to use a washroom for several hours. It seemed they were doing everything possible to discourage the passengers from participating in that activity. My wife and I have kayaked in oceans before and have never been fed such negative propaganda. I suppose the kayak staff preferred not to work The demographic of Silversea ships is older. Unless they can find staff who both know what they are doing and know how to organize and run these activities for a more senior group, they should stay out of the expedition business. The ship was fine. The cabin was fine. The food was all right. The main purpose of the trip was next to non-existent. It was a complete waste of time and money. I will never sail on a Silverseas expedition cruise again. It it not worth a repeat performance.

WASTE OF TIME & MONEY