3. Westerdam
We've been on Holland American several times over the years. It was a far better cruise line before being acquired by Carnival. We were onthe old Niew Amsterdam and the newer one. We also cruised on Zandaam. Anyway, it seems to me that most of the industry is dumbing downCruising is not what it used to be. Boarding was slow but OK. Our luggage arrived fairly quickly. Our cabin (8115) was tired and showed it's wear. There was no explanation of the shower fixture and one could easily get burned. For the first few days there was a burst of brown water with the first day's use of the shower. In our 15 days on the ship we had two toilet floods. The cabin was well cared for and the stewards were very pleasant. Our major disappointment was the food. The lido was standard fare with breakfast and lunch being average. The service was inconsistent. It was sometimes good and efficient and not so at other times. As the wait staff does the bussing this is probably a factor. Lunch in the dining room was pretty good although the last time we visited the pasta was inedible. We sat next to a table where there seemed to be no rolls for the hamburger that was ordered. The best I can do here is 3 out of 5. Dinner was truly a mixed bag. We ate there about 10 times. I had only one entree which I would rate as very good. The others were fair to good only. I usually didn't finish any of them. We used room service to start the day. One day we got 5 juices and no coffee. I think the extra 3 juices were delivered rather than the 3 cup coffee order. Another day we got no coffee although it was ordered. The breakfast service was always delivered on time We did not buy any of the ship's excursions although by using Cruise Critic we were able to enjoy some good ones. Skipping our first port Koh Samui Thailand was a major disappointment as we had planned to visit an elephant retirement facility. Skipping KS was not the ship's fault as there was a major storm Bangkok was OK and we stayed in a lovely downtown hotel. The river was a joy. Why we stopped in Sihanoukville Cambodia is a mystery to my. It is a dirty dusty port town with almost nothing to offer. The Chinese are developing it in a big way and my guess is that it will be the next Macau in 10 years. Right now it is the current Cambodia shanty town. Some suggested that the stop was to allow those who wished to visit Ankhor Wat. There has to be a better way to do this. It was an unnecessary and stupid place to visit. All of Vietnam was great and our visit changed my opinion of the country. Socialism and Communism seem to be working. Saigon and Halong Bay were knockouts. We bought private tours. A an aside HA (Carnival) charged $55 each for the Vietnam visas. The going rate for a multivisit Vietnam visa is $5. this is gouging I think, $50 pure profit There was a 1 hour bar happy hour each day. One can actually get two beers for about $9 (plus an 18% tip of course). Other second drinks are also $2 during the happy hour. The bartenders were great We did not attend any of the shows. The port talks were quite good. There was a speaker who gave very good presentations on Indochina and each country we were to visit. I think his name was Hicks. He was very good. He was one of the few ship highlights. I earlier mentioned the dumbing down of the industry. This is certainly true in the dress standards. In the dining room I was not always sure if I were on a 'cruiseliner' or at McDonald's. Enough said on that Sometimes one picks the ship and sometimes the itinerary. This time it was the itinerary. The ship was lacking. The best I can give Westerdam is a 3 out of 5.

Westerdam was not very good

Westerdam Cruise Review by p598738