3. Norwegian Breakaway
We chose this cruise for the itinerary as 11 days! and Caribbean! NCL really has their act together when you are talking about their packages you can choose to add to your cruise when signing up! Of course, duh!, first choice unlimited drinking package and balcony or higher 3 choices and even more as you go up in room category. The operation of the ship as far as handling the large ship under all circumstances was probably the most professional I have seen yet. Everything they did was smooth to a "T" and most of the time when parking it was amazing. I am an engineer by trade, so I was amazed how good they were. The ship is really easy to explore around , even has fish on the carpet swimming to the front so you don't get turned around. They kept us busy by having many above average shows and performances nearly every night. I will rate the entertainment down just a bit as there were a few days that we wanted to go to the comedian, and you had to arrive at least 30 mins early or you can't get in and most of the entertainment you had to pre - book so what happens is the experienced cruisers (you know who they are) get to pre-book BEFORE the "regular" cruisers so A. best times are taken and B. A lot of shows or specialty dining is all booked up. C. And then they don't show up. I really don't like the "know the rules" handling of the shows and specialty dinners as some book and then never show up. The specialty dining was some of the best ever when you do get in, but I really don't like eating at 9:45pm and missing shows that are usually scheduled between 9-10pm for the good adult stuff. There were a few times the specialty dining rooms showed booked up on the computer and yet were 1/2 full or just a little better, and yet if you went to the dining kiosk to book dining, it said all booked up. Anyway in my rambling, freestyle cruising is ok, you can scale back your dining attire a little, but my wife and I feel it is a little more respectful to dress a little nicer than that, which is ok. We come from a rural environment and my wife doesn't get to wear warm climate dresses except for on cruises so we raise up the dress a little above minimum for the specialty dining. Freestyle dining or cruising should be just that, either very limited rules or none at all. You can eat anytime you want, but realistically you can't because the Haven on up people have most of the booking booked early. The crews on the ship were professional and fun and after the first day recognized you! I made some permanent friends and yes I did purchase the CruiseNext bonus which is way better return than the stock market. We had a spa room, and enjoyed the thermal suites area, but if I had to upgrade from a regular room to Spa and purchase the rights, I personally don't feel it would have been worth it. The Doctor on board was absolutely amazing and helped my wife with a few things and she was very happy with the top notch professionalism he showed. NCL didn't really brag that they had him on the ship and my wife stumbled upon his video in the spa and he literally saved us thousands of dollars and did a better job! WIN_WIN! Getting on and off the ship was a breeze, and the NCL transfers to and from the airport were convenient and fast and professional. In summary, NCL is very classy, professional, great employees both in operations and service, and just needs to work on the booking of entertainment and specialty meals and they will have it all. One more thing, the specialty dining options are top notch, better than any normal dining I have access to at home, and the first trip I went to them it was smooth and easy and very enjoyable. But now everyone has figured out how good they really are and you are lucky to get any reasonable time to actually get to go to them to eat. It seems the only slots open are when you wanted to go to a show that night, so instead of doing both (like on other cruise lines) You have to sacrifice one for the other. I still would rate the overall trip at 9.6!

Norwegian Breakaway smooth trip!

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by mxtuner1

• Sail Date: January 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Spa Balcony Stateroom
mxtuner1’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Spa Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B9
Very nice fulfilled our needs
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins