3. Marella Explorer
My family and I have cruised with Thompsons many times in the past and we have always had a fantastic experience. I thought the change of name to Marella was quite simply that, a name change, but that is obviously not the case. The entertainment on board is the worst I have ever experienced on any cruise, its Butlin’s at sea, cheap and extremely irritating. The team responsible for your entertainment can easily be found in the smoking areas of the bars, drinking, smoking and entertaining each other. The food is reasonable, however the service is painfully slow and you can expect to be spending a great deal of time waiting between courses for your meals to be served. The specialist restaurants that incur a supplement are still painfully slow from a service perspective, the food is nothing special and certainly not worth the additional cost. The icing on the cake came during our second week when we rounded a corner on deck 7 to find human excrement on the deck, a crew member was placing a chair over the turd to prevent anyone walking in it and he smile and said “someone had relaxed too much on their holiday”. I'm no snob, I like a drink and a good laugh as much as anyone, howsever the calibre of guest on this cruise left much to be desired. . The excursions are over-priced, but they always are on cruise ships and in fairness we enjoyed them all. On days where we had no excursions booked we couldn’t face staying on-board with the drunks staggering around so we left the ship and got Taxi’s to the nearest beach. My advise to anyone considering booking with Marella is simple, DON'T. Maybe we were just unlucky, but I will never cruise with Marella again.

Butlin's At Sea

Marella Explorer Cruise Review by David2108

• Sail Date: January 2018
  • Destination: Caribbean

My advise to anyone considering booking with Marella is simple, DON'T.

Maybe we were just unlucky, but I will never cruise with Marella again.
David2108’s Full Rating Summary