Viking Orion Cruise Review

Bangkok, Bali and Beyond

Viking Orion Cruise Review by ribera

• Sail Date: Nov 2018
  • Destination: Asia

Chose countries I was interested in exploring...Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.

I have traveled on Viking Riverboats twice before, and I was disappointed in the ocean cruise experience with Viking compared to other lines (I have traveled on Holland America, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Silver Seas). Overall, I felt the excursion experience lacked attention to the travelers, as excursions sites were poor, and we spent most of the time on the bus driving around. The local tour guide companies were less than well experienced, and the guides themselves were simply not helpful beyond the script they read to us.

I realize that several ports were primarily for commercial travel with few amenities geared to the passenger ships, but Viking did little to compensate for that. When we exited the ship there were no personnel in the 'tents' at the bottom of the gangway, and as a passenger you were on your own to find your way to the terminal or to the buses (somewhat dangerous in an unknown country). The preparation for off-board travel lacked useful information also.

I must give complements to the onboard staff who were wonderful, taking good care of my roommate who contracted the 'noro' virus and was isolated in the room for 2 days.

In my opinion, the overall experience was 'not up to Viking standards'.

ribera's Full Rating Summary

Cabin verandah 2 646

Cabin was fine, our stewart was great.

City Tour

Flower market, tretcherous walking, guide less than helpful

Waited for bus to reboard in high traffic area

View All 46 City Tour Reviews
City Tour

Bus was less than comfortable, too much time just driving

View All 43 City Tour Reviews
City Tour

I had been to Singapore before, and simply chose the wrong tour, again the guides were subpar

View All 38 City Tour Reviews
Bali

Port of disembarkation for me, and this was the most upsetting part of the cruise. It was raining steadily as we disembarked, and the Viking staff was not helpful at all. I had to insist on help down the wet, metal gangway and request and umbrella to shelter from the rain. The staff seemed more interested in getting us off the ship quickly rather than safely.

The buses took us to a delightful resort, where the entire staff treated us royally. The accommodations and luncheon were great. I wished I had booked the resort to stay longer.

ribera