3. Ovation of the Seas
We choose the Ovation of the Seas as we had previously enjoyed the Voyager of the Seas and wanted to try a newer ship and a different destination. Ovation of the Seas is definitely a great ship for a New Zealand Cruise especially with the adult only pool and spa area being protected by the elements with glass and this area is a fabulous area to relax. We travelled with two other couples who had also just turned 50. My husband and I enjoyed riding the flow rider most mornings as well as trying out the dodgem cars, I-fly and rock climbing wall. Saying that I agree with others that the dodgem car waiting line could be better organised and is not helped by those that hold places for multiple people. Our friends enjoyed the trivial pursuit and the adult pool area. We tried the special dining as part of a 5 night dining package. Alice in Wonderland is a wonderful experience and Jamie Oliver’s was best enjoyed as a group. We booked my-time dining but beware that this may mean, with a larger group, that you will be sent away to wait to see if a table is available. The bar was close so wasn’t a worry. We all managed to get on the North Star. If you don’t get to book on-line go there as soon as you board to make a booking for when the ship is docked. We booked for an early boarding time which is worthwhile if you can get it. Embarking was about half an hour. Our room wasn’t ready but we were given a paper seapass to use until our room was ready. We had drinks and lunch and it was soon time to unpack. We also booked the thermal suites which for us was a luxury worth paying for but it is a personal choice. You can’t book on-line so go there when you board and the staff will show you around. Pixels is worth booking. I enjoyed some of the entertainment but not others but we all have different tastes. Staff service was varied. In one case we had made a booking that couldn’t be honoured and they went out of their way to make up for the mistake on the other hand we only had 2 towel animals which I could have done better. We didn’t participate in many enrichment activities as we were too busy with everything else but the presentation on acupuncture was interesting. The drink staff were everywhere and served you in the adult pool which was better than our last crew where you waited at the bar for long periods some time. We did a mixture of cruise line tours and pre-organised non cruise tours. Enjoyed Dunedin and Napier the best. Not much in Picton so best to organise a tour. We are booked with Royal Caribbean again. We are going on VOS again because it is a holiday for our teenage son and it is going to the South Pacific. Sadly OOS only does a few stops at the Pacific Islands as we loved the ship. Happy to answer any questions you have.

Fun time with friends

Ovation of the Seas Cruise Review by TamTim

Happy to answer any questions you have.
TamTim’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Ovation of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 8D 10200
Perfect for two. Good storage. Good size bathroom. Comfortable bed.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins