January 6th cruise on the recently refurbished Eurodam. Third cruise on HAL. 23rd cruise overall. My wife and I are seniors but lead busy lives. We go on cruises to get away from it all, relax, veg out and be taken care of. In regards to these goals, Eurodam filled the bill with flying colors. The Eurodam was recently refurbishes and is a clean, pretty ship. We had a spa veranda stateroom. It was a nice room with adequate storage for two people. Bed was incredibly comfortable. Very nice large flat screen TV on the wall facing the bed. Balcony was small but adequate and pleasant. In case you were wandering, the difference between a spa veranda stateroom and a regular veranda stateroom is that you are closer to the spa and you have a rolled up yoga mat in your closet. It DOES NOT entitle you to any spa privileges or discounts. Food was very good in both the main dining room and the buffet. I had read prior reviews on cruise critic that complained the hot food was served cold. This was never our experience. My objection to the food on all the HAL ships that I have been on is that they bend over backwards to fancy it up and appeal (it seems) to gourmands. That is fine but how about some options for those of us who like plain good tasting, down home food. I am a very plain meat and potatoes guy. My stomach does not like very spicy dishes. On the menu one night was celery and cucumber goat quark as a starter. I am not into eating sub atomic particles that come from a goat. For those of us who do like plain food, there is New York Pizza (OK, not outstanding), the Dive-In (best hamburgers and hot dogs as well as very best fries at sea) with limited hours of 11:30 am - 6 pm (New York Pizza is open until 10 or 11 pm) and room service. The room service items that appealed to me the most were on the children's menu but for some inexplicable reason, the children's room service menu is only available from 5:30pm -9:30pm, which is while we are at dinner or right after. Apparently HAL does not want anyone ordering off the children's room service menu. Entertainment was very good. Comic magician and comedian were both excellent. Pianists/singers at Billboard and BB King were excellent. Production shows on main stage were very good. Lincoln Center musicians were superb. We did not do shore excursions or many ship activities because our goals were as listed at the beginning of this review. As a matter of fact, we did not even care about the ports at all. We did not take this cruise because of it's itinerary. We just wanted to be on the ship, wherever it went. Most mornings we missed breakfast as we slept in until 11 am or noon. One of the places we used to enjoy visiting was the library which was located in the explorations cafe/cow's nest on HAL ships. Unfortunately, with the refurbishment, they pretty much did away with the library. It is not even listed as existing though there are still a few books there. Pity. HAL used to have the best library of any cruise line at sea. Also, the explorations cafe seems to have less offerings than it used to. It is much prettier but I rather have the old library and cafe back. Service was excellent from all crew members. They all smiled and greeted guests pleasantly. The MDR staff, however, seemed very rushed and always moving. One got the impression that they had to do more with less. They tried to give each guest outstanding service and did so to the best of their ability, but long waits were the norm as they just seemed overwhelmed by the demands on limited staff and time. Special shout out to our room steward Adit. Of the 23 cruises we have been on, he was the best room steward I have had and I have always had excellent room stewards. Would I do this ship again? In a New York minute if the price was right. The positives so overshadowed the few negatives.

Very Relaxing Cruise

Eurodam Cruise Review by Xertes

• Sail Date: January 2019
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Spa Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

Would I do this ship again? In a New York minute if the price was right.

The positives so overshadowed the few negatives.
Xertes’s Full Rating Summary