Vision of the Seas Cruise Review

Winter Getaway

Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by SHOTPAR

• Sail Date: Jan 2019
  • Destination: the Bahamas

We wanted a winter getaway and when we saw that Royal Caribbean was sailing out of New Orleans we decided to give them a try. We liked the fact that the drive from St. Louis to New Orleans was usually an easy drive down I-55, It was not so this time as 10 miles out of Memphis traveling 75 miles per hour we hit a hawk that shattered our windshield and we had to continue with a damaged windshield all the way to NOLA. We did arrive safe and after spending the night in NOLA we boarded the ship. Having cruised many times the boarding was just about what we expected despite the fact that our boarding agent was a trainee. My wife and I are easy going and if someone is trying to do their job we give them a lot of latitude.

With all the new ships being built it seems strange to call a ship that holds 2500 passengers one of the smaller ship but actually I found that I liked the idea of fewer passengers, My wife had been on the Allure of the Seas with our granddaughter and she commented how crowded the public rooms were on the Allure all the time, The ship is a little tired looking but I did not find it off putting but it could use an update.

It has been awhile since we cruised on Royal C and I was surprised to find extra charges in the main dining room for upgraded meals along with them trying to sell upgrades of the speciality dining. I found this a little off putting, but did not pressure you. We did purchase the drinks package and my wife took the Wi-Fi package since she is a professional actress in St Louis and was in the process of being cast in a major production in March. I don't know how we came out money wish on the drink package but I do know we had a lot to drink.

All the crew that we interacted with we friendly and pleasant. The only problem we encountered was with guest services, In Key West we arranged to have the windshield replaced Saturday morning at 9:00 in NOLA for our drive back to St. and since we were parked in the overflow lot I was concerned as to how we got to that lot with our luggage. We were told to take the shuttle which after getting on same found it did not stop at that lot. We paid the shuttle driver to get us as close to the lot as she could and then we hoofed our luggage to the lot. Guest services seemed to be uninterested in our problem, only bad mark of entire cruise.

Food was about what we expected, cabin was kept clean and neat, public rooms were clean as were dinning rooms and buffets.

We got off the ship at all stops but only to walk around as we did not book any excursion

To sum it up I think that all in all it was a nice getaway and that the crew of Royal C did a fine job. As I said we are easy to please and we don't go out of our way to find fault or look for tings to nit pick,

We were fortunate to have pleasant companions at our dining table and again being a "smaller" ship made it easier to get a table at the buffets, around the pool and public rooms. The one highlight of the entertainment was the Thriller Dance. The passengers that took part in the dance really worked hard and the fact that they were made up to look like zombies was a nice touch.

The casino had a live dealer at the Texas Holdem table and that too was a nice touch and again being a smaller ship we were able to get a seat at the table.

Along with our harrowing drive down we found when we got off the ship that there was a snow storm in St Louis and they had 15" of snow. After waiting 2 hours for or windshield to be replaced we started home after, We debated staying in NOLA but decided to drive till we hit snow, We got within 20 miles of our home and were able to limp home arriving safe and sound..

SHOTPAR's Full Rating Summary