3. Anthem of the Seas
As it is getting more difficult to coordinate schedules with adult children, we paid a bit more to sail over NYE, tho sailing out of New Jersey kept airfare reasonable. We chose the Anthem as the onboard activities looked great, especially with young adult children. Embarkation: We stayed in NYC Times Square the night before. Scheduled a car pick up (Camel Limo; only $65 for large vehicle as there were 5 of us) at 8:30 & were at the port by 9! Checkin took MINUTES & we were sitting & waiting. Able to get on at 10:30 (plus could book Escape room, Ripcord & North Star as we were one of first 100 passengers on board). When we got up on deck there was a LOOOOONG line of cars snaking into the port at that time--COME EARLY & relax! Dining: We typically ate breakfast in the Solarium Bistro--we found the offerings similar to the Windjammer but MUCH less crowded. Lunches were usually Sorrentos--the gluten free pizza takes a bit of time but was GREAT. Tried Windjammer a few times (didn't have dinner there, but stopped by one night for a snack & honestly was super impressed!); it was pretty good, busy (but only one day did we really have issues finding a table). But the gluten free area was not staffed both times I went back there. (I really wanted GF pasta!) Pointless to have food behind a window that no one can get. No sign (hours?), no bell. Dinner was MTD each night. We were lucky enough to have the same waiters a couple different nights. Only 1 night did I not care for my meal--luckily I had ordered 2 appetizers & was too full to care. We felt the food was very good overall. (though the dessert selection in Windjammer is MUCH MUCH more elaborate & expansive; funny I used to thing RCL had the best desserts at sea in the MDR) Activities: Ripcord--AMAZING!!! We all LOVED it! North Star--Do this while in a port. Very cool Escape room (sign up AS SOON as you board on the iPads RIGHT as you enter the ship as there are only about 5 time offerings for about 12 people)--this was SO SO much fun! We naturally broke into small groups to solve several puzzles. We had the best time in 3 cruises! DH & DSs played 3 on 3 basketball. Could have beat a lot of teams put of course got the guy with the 3 point shot on the opposing team! DS18 lifted in fitness area & shot baskets alot. We Will Rock You--OK, I ALMOST walked out. It is WEIRD in the beginning BUT I have to say these are THE BEST vocalists I have ever heard at sea--Broadway caliber. And it was FANTASTIC Saw one comedian; he was OK. Played a number of game shows & lots of trivia, always fun. Often sat in the Music Hall & listened to Karaoke while playing card games together (we played in 270 during the day). Lots of kids/young people doing karaoke--fun. The Pub had a GREAT guitarist/vocalist--Tommy Green Jr. He did lots of sing alongs plus his own songs (GREAT--meant to buy a CD!!) The guys watched quite a bit of football here as it was bowl week, but had some odd rules about the TVs...ships that go out of US ports should really have someone from the US who understands sports here... Casino took a bit of time too. Poker tournaments were a HORRIBLE structure--$100 for 1K chips, 10 min blinds, NO cash prizes only qualify for tournament to win a free cruise next Dec. Poker tournaments are our main gambling choice, and we play nearly every tournament on a ship. NOPE not this one. I did play cash poker a couple nights. Did VERY well the 1st time. 2nd time bad luck. BUT the DEALER goaded a player into calling my bet--that has NEVER happened to me EVER in any casino in 15+ years of playing (players have commented but NEVER a dealer). When I told a pit boss the next day she seemed to think I was just mad I lost the hand (no, if the guy called me on his own accord so be it, that's poker). I was NOT impressed with the handling of it. (yes, I should have said something at the time; but I was SO shocked & angered I had to walk away). Ports: Orlando--we chose to stay on the ship & enjoy the sun (well, the girls did; guys watched football). Hot & humid that day. Strange port choice, imo. Nassau--went to Senor Frogs & then Junkanoo beach--pretty nice for a public beach but I do recommend water shoes as shore had lots of rocks & shells. DS23 & DD20 had an expensive lesson here--negotiate WHAT you want with the braiding ladies BEFORE they begin. DS ended up with a headful of braids when it was over which was NOT what he was thinking. He was in tears by the end & I think she charged him half of what it should have been (they say $4/braid up front)... CoCo Cay--Private islands are always great. Chairs no problem to be found if you don't mind walking around a bit. Food was adequate. Drinks plentiful. Do bring some cash as there are local vendors there. (DO NOT get the drink in a pineapple--we realized they are charging $8/pineapple--the part they usually throw away! Even if you had the drink package you had to pay for the pineapple. LOVED this ship (probably tied for Allure for fav ship ever). Would like to said Quantum or Oasis class again soon.

New Years Eve sailing!

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review by KKB

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony

Embarkation:

Dining:

Activities:

Ripcord--AMAZING!!! We all LOVED it!

North Star--Do this while in a port. Very cool

DS18 lifted in fitness area & shot baskets alot.

Saw one comedian; he was OK.

Played a number of game shows & lots of trivia, always fun.

Ports:

KKB’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 16+
Get Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 6D 6532
This was a great location on the 6th floor, close to most shows, game shows, casino & dining. Room was spacious (MORE than enough space!) & nice modern decor.

Our adult children (18-23) shared an accessible OV (3170)--they LOVED the oversized room & location.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins