3. Viking Sun
My wife and I (I'm in my 70's)wanted to see Belize and Mexico primarily to see the ancient Mayan ruins but we didn't want to see the normal tourist hot spots that you can get on television documentaries all the time so we ventured into the excursions offered by Viking Oceans. We chose Viking Oceans because it was a smaller cruise shipt and didn't carry thousands of passengers giving us a more intimate yet sociable experience. We went to Miami a few days early and made the mistake of staying in a hotel on the beach. The hotel that was booked for us was terrific but our mistake was getting a hotel on the beach. During the time we were there, the beach was really quite empty (cooler weather) but the shops and nearby restaurants were too overcrowded for us(again we like things more private and intimate). Our embarkation started with being picked up by the Viking staff and getting a short tour of Miami before heading to the ship. The tour was very interesting and went well. The ship seemed gigantic but getting to our rooms and having the bags delivered went off without a hitch. Every staff member was more than helpful making sure all our needs were met. The cabin was spacious well designed, clean, well stocked. comfortable and the veranda was a terrific place to go and just chill and drink some wine, The four dining rooms allowed plenty of room for places to eat and room service 24/7. I was never disappointed about any menu's but even though we had booked our reservations about eight months prior to our departure, their two specialty restaurants were booked for the entire trip and we never got to use it. The only thing I wish they would do is give every guest a chance to eat there at least once during the trip by simply limiting pre-booking to the larger suites to one visit on any given day and then allowing them to book more days once they were on the ship but again only allow one booking per day for any day and time they choose.This will allow everyone a chance to book any available restaurant at least once. Don't get me wrong, the food in all the restaurants was terrific but the smaller ones allow for more intimate dining which is what we would have preferred. There was never a lack of things to do or see on the ship. We walked throughout the ship familiarizing ourselves with its layout and that took us just about a full day. Social gatherings and just sitting out on the decks and relaxing always gave us opportunities to meet new people and make new friendships. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. Each and every one of them make you feel like you were a king or queen. They were fantastic and I don't know how they can do that day after day and still make you feel that they wanted you to give them something for them to do to make you feel comfortable and satisfied. The excursions we chose were fantastic. Well organized, knowledgeable guides and just total enjoyment. I believe on our next trip we will not go on as many excursions and probably choose to go off on our own exploratory expeditions to really get to know the country we are visiting. Disembarkation went just as smoothly as our embarkation. Not a single complaint about anything. The Cruise ship spaced us out according to our individual travel time schedule so everyone wasn't trying to get off the ship at the same time. Very well organized. This was my first cruise and I was totally impressed. This was my wife's third cruise and she said it was better than the Viking River Cruise she went on with her sister but only because I was with her this time. When we are ready to go on another cruise, Viking Cruises will be our first and only choice. As Tony the Tiger says "They're Great!"

Excellent Choice

Viking Sun Cruise Review by Joseph Osegueda

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Caribbean

Joseph Osegueda’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Sun price drops

The cabin was larger than our hotel room, very comfortable, terrific staff, well serviced and a great place to relax.