Viking Akun Cruise Review

Viking Akun Cruise Review by bpgor123

• Sail Date: Oct 2018
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Stateroom

I chose this cruise because I wanted to see Moscow and other cities in Russia that were visited on this cruise. I had already been to St. Petersburg but I new that it, too, must be different than when I visited in 2004.

I didn't know what to expect. I never expected some of the things I saw. Red Square at night was like a light show. The building were outlined with white lights, St. Basil's Cathedral was just magnificent with the spotlights on it. It is also beautiful in the daytime.

I was surprised at the number of churches that I saw. I know that for many years that people could not worship openly. I never expected to see churches that were breathtakingly beautiful inside. Every inch was covered with gold, paintings. mosaics and more. Spectacular.

This was the third Viking River cruise for me. I really didn't know what to expect on the first one but I learned quickly that the staff on Viking ships are friendly and helpful. They are respectful to the guests. The cabin was always made up when I returned from an excursion. Housekeeping was quick to send anything that I needed.

The menu was varied each night. I especially liked the dishes that were native to the region where we were. The Russian menus were great. There were selections with which I was familiar because they were made in my family. It was fun to eat them on the ship. The service was excellent.

I looked forward to the excursions every day because I didn't know what to expect. One excursion was to Khizi island where 60 people live. It was educational. We saw an church that was being restored. Everything was done with wood. The guides in Russia were well informed and answered any questions.

I recommend the Russia cruise. You will know a lot more than before you visited.

I am already scheduled for cruises 4 and 5 this year - Viking Ocean Cruise - Venice to Athens and Viking River Cruise - Portugal-The River of Gold. Can't wait.

bpgor123's Full Rating Summary

Veranda Stateroom
Cabin AX 4042

The cabin was not that spacious but I found room for everything. I think the bathroom should be a bit larger. I would also like to see glass shower doors instead of curtains. The water can easily get on the floor.

Moscow

This tour was not a walking tour although I did get off the bus for pictures and some walking around. I enjoyed seeing the Russian people doing everyday things.

Moscow

The Kremlin in a "fortress." There were so many things to see. There was a bell that might have been modeled on the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia. Part of it was not only cracked but removed. The building where government functions are conducted was surprising to me. It seemed to have been a palace at one time.

Moscow

Saw those pictures in the newspapers for real. What a treat. Nighttime was just beautiful

Moscow

Although it was very chilly, seeing Moscow from the water was a real treat. Most of the building were outlined in white lights. Very enjoyable.

St. Petersburg

There are no other words for the Amber Room but WOW!!!!

St. Petersburg

Another beautiful example of Russian luxury and beautiful interiors. Palaces are pretty dazzling and this one meets all the qualifications.

St. Petersburg

A beautiful edifice both inside and out. Once again, very ornate decorations.

St. Petersburg

Another example of a beautiful palace. The art work was varied and interesting.

St. Petersburg

The rooms were beautiful. Some were very, very ornate with gold and mosaics.

St. Petersburg

How can you go wrong with "Swan Lake?" A highlight of my visit to St. Petersburg.

bpgor123