Veendam Cruise Review

First Trip to Cuba

Veendam Cruise Review by conniemac5

• Sail Date: Nov 2018
  • Destination: Cuba

I booked this cruise to see Cuba. The ship spends time in Havana and Cienfuegos. Travelers should be aware that they are required get a visa and to take a US required travel information tour in order to explore the Island. Holland America assists with acquiring the visa and the "People to People" tour.

The Venndam is a small ship holding around 1800 passengers. I found the size of the ship comfortably pleasant. It was my first time in a "laini" room, and I liked the access to the main walking deck from my room. While older, the ship is very well maintained.

As with other Holland America ships, the food is excellent the service is always a good experience. The staff is exceptionally pleasant and accommodating. They go out of the way to please guests.

Holland America entertainment consists of quality music programs, the Food Kitchen, BBC films and some traditional activities. They know how to please the older generation. I've been on a number of Holland America ships and I sometimes wish for some additional lively entertainment. Sea days on longer journey's could use some additional upbeat activities.

This cruise went a;s far south as Belize and stopped at a number of ports. I' disabled and use a scooter. Some tender ports (including Belize) would not accommodate my small, very light scooter. I was disappointed to miss seeing this island.

conniemac5's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Laini 622

First time in a Laini cabin and I loved it. We had access to the main walking deck through double glass doors. Two lounges were reserved outside the room for our use. The easy access to the deck was pleasant.

Cozumel

I enjoyed the opportunity to shop for the needed pharmacy items at a good price.

Belize City

As I mentioned, the tenders were run by Belize and they refused to accommodate my small scooter and I could not get to the island

Roatan

This was a first visit and I loved the the shore beach and nature walk close by the port. It was delightful and beautiful.

Cienfuegos

We took a ;bus tour of the city that stopped at highlighted places. The tour went through the town and pointed out places of interest. We mostly looked at closed business buildings and housing areas. The tour was geared toward visiting an art community. there was not much of interest.

City Tour

This tour was designed to show us the highlights of the city and an art community in a poor neighborhood. It was a full day with a basic Cuban lunch. The art community dance was staged and rather awkward. It was fascinating to see what has happened to the island under communist rule.

View All 251 City Tour Reviews