3. Celebrity Equinox
This was my first time cruising with Celebrity after having thoroughly enjoyed my first cruise with RCCL to Bermuda back in 2011. I was excited to explore the Caribbean and to try the more premium offerings of Celebrity. My wife and I had a great time and even booked our next Celebrity voyage (Constellation in the Mediterranean, Summer 2019) whilst still onboard the Equinox. Ahead of the cruise, we spent a few wonderful days exploring Miami, enjoying the warm weather and great food before climbing aboard the Equinox for 7 nights in the Western Caribbean. Our stateroom was nice, and we made constant use of our balcony. The only issue we experienced with the accommodation occurred in one of the ports, where we experienced a strong acrylic/chemical smell in the cabin that was the result of some work being done on the ship's hull. It was quite overpowering, we alerted the steward and he mentioned the same reported by other passengers. The work promptly ceased and the smell dissipated after some time. We loved the food onboard, both in the main dining room and in Murano, the French specialty restaurant on board. The choices were excellent, we especially liked the 'Moveable Feast' menu and events on board, inspired/cooked by Michelle Bernstein and Marcus Samuelsson who were often seen walking around the ship. We generally liked the ports of call, although they trended more towards the tourist-y versus the cultural. We enjoyed walking around in Key West, buying some souvenirs and the requisite key lime pies. We planned one excursion in Costa Maya to a secluded beach club, however had to be taken to a different, closer beach due to problems with seaweed. Not ideal, but we made the best of our beach day. We actually didn't get off the ship in Cozumel, choosing instead to spend the day onboard at the spa. I had hoped that Grand Cayman would be similar to Bermuda, given their similar roles as financial and banking centers. This was not the case, at least not for the area directly around the tender drop-off point. Our ship pulled into what seemed to be a cruise-ship parking lot- along with three other large Carnival ships- so the port area was extremely crowded with passengers and vendors. August in the Caribbean is hot and humid, so it was difficult to spend much time outside, besides by the pool. Also the summer timing of the cruise also meant that there were a large number of children on the ship. I hadn't expected this with Celebrity but it didn't cause any issues. We really enjoyed the ability to relax and unwind on this trip. Although it was carrying thousands of passengers, there were numerous quiet places and never seemed too crowded. We'd certainly cruise on the Equinox again, at a cooler time of the year, perhaps as a way to explore the islands of Eastern Caribbean.

Great Time Sailing the Caribbean

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by simonkfoster

simonkfoster’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Equinox price drops

Deluxe Veranda
Cabin 1C 8111
Good sized cabin with comfortable bed and functional bathroom. I was concerned about the location so close to the bow, but we found it be quiet and secluded. Bulkhead is slightly lower on this cabin vs. further back and bridge is directly above so does hinder some photo opportunities.
Vista Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Beach
    Hoping for a secluded beach getaway but due to seaweed were re-directed to a close beach. Sand, chairs, food, and service not as nice as we had hoped.