3. Carnival Glory
I sailed on the Carnival Glory last week with my mom to celebrate the new year. Embarkation was a breeze. We arrived to the port of Miami at 11:45 and were on the ship by 12:10, even though our assigned check-in window was 12:30-1. We always wear our swimsuits onto the ship so that we can take advantage of a near-empty pool. They were handing out free champagne on the pool deck, I am assuming because it was a New Year's cruise. We went down to our stateroom at 1:30, which is the earliest you can get in, and our bags had already arrived. There was plenty to do onboard at all times- trivia, games, poolside entertainment, comedy shows, lobby parties, deck parties, movies at the pool, casino events, shopping giveaways, etc. Our cruise director, Dustin, was absolutely amazing. You could tell he loves his job and he was always laughing and having a good time. Now we did two shore excursions that I did not book through the cruiseline. One in Grand Cayman and one in Belize... the two ports that required tendering, of course. Now, if you booked through the ship, they made sure you were on an early enough tender to make it. If you did not book through the ship, you had to go to the Alchemy bar and get a number sticker to determine when you would be allowed off the ship. We got up super early in Grand Cayman and got number 2 (they generally let off 1-6 first) so we had no issue. In Belize, however, we were a little more relaxed and ended up with number 12. We've never been to Belize so we didn't know the tender ride was 20 minutes. 1-6 was called and I assumed we would be able to get off the ship next, but we waited 30 more minutes and still hadn't heard our number, and our excursion was leaving in 30 minutes. We went to Guest Services and told them what was going on and they put us in the priority tendering and we were off the ship within the next five minutes. We were still 20 minutes late to our excursion, but thankfully so was everyone else, so they waited for us. Moral of the story: Talk to guest services. They won't be mad you didn't book through the cruiseline. As far as the New Year's Eve festivities go, it was exactly what I expected. Around 2 o'clock on NYE, they began filling up balloons above the lobby. You could go up and put in your wish for 2019. At dinner, there was a special NYE menu and hats/noisemakers o the tables for you to take. They dropped the balloons at 11 PM and one lucky wish won a 3L bottle of champagne. There was a comedy show from 11:15-11:45, in between the balloon drop and the party on the lido. We did not attend. We were in the lido deck by 11:15 and it was already pretty packed. They started passing out the free champagne around 11:30, and they kept your glasses full until midnight. They also threw out hats, headbands, noisemakers, etc. The lido was lit up and the party was great. I highly recommend cruising into the New Year. As for Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan, it is evident that it is a private port. It feels more like Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort than the actual Caribbean. Also, you have to pay for the majority of the beach chairs, the sky chairs, etc. I have no desire to return. The food was good the majority of the time. I highly recommend the Sea Day Brunch and Tea time, which is a hidden gem. We also ate at the steakhouse, which is consistently a phenomenal experience. Our dessert was called Art at the Table and it was a unique experience. The ship itself is in need of some help. The exterior is very rusty, the walls of the elevators are peeling off, the carpet is run down. It was clean, but ugly. The shower in our stateroom was also falling apart, and did not get fixed until day 3.

Carnival Glory- New Year's Cruise

Carnival Glory Cruise Review by caribbeanseadreaming

caribbeanseadreaming’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Glory price drops

• Altun Ha
    I booked an excursion to go see the Altun Ha Mayan Ruins and then go ziplining. Our tour guide, Joe, was absolutely amazing. You could really tell he loves his job. He even let us stop on the side of the road at a local wine stop, where we sampled flower, cashew, and blackberry wine. He was incredibly knowledgeable about the ruins and the Mayans in general. At the zipline site, we were greeted with pineapple, bananas, watermelon, chips and salsa, bottled water, and Joe cut open some fresh coconut for us. Ziplining was amazing. I am terrified of heights and this was my first time ziplining. It actually didn't scare me at all. Absolutely amazing day. I HIGHLY recommend.
    View All 163 Altun Ha Reviews
  • Stingray Swim
    I am terrified of stingrays, but I got in the water and I can safely say I will never do it again. The stingrays are everywhere. They will swim right past you. It was so cool.
    View All 704 Stingray Swim Reviews