3. Nieuw Statendam
This was my 12th cruise on HAL. I've been on every size ship in their fleet. While I still prefer smaller ships (RIP soon Prinsendam), I have made my peace with behemoths and really like HAL's newest iterations. Having been on the Koningsdam twice, there was no learning curve on the Nieuw Statendam. For a "premier" voyage (maiden is no longer used - wink wink), things went surprisingly well. Let's get the glitches out of the way first: - The computer system was loathe to recognize the Mariner discount when applicable - Service in Canaletto and Tamarind was very slow - One of the stationary bikes in the gym was out of order from the get go - Use of the World Stage for solo performers is not optimal Not bad for the first time out! Now for the really good: - Food was uniformly excellent. Our group of nine had the same table at 8PM every evening in the Dining Room, and service was stellar and convivial. BRAVO to Dede. He is wonderful. We ate in all four specialty restaurants as well. (I miss the Culinary Arts Center: Club Orange was always nearly empty when one passed by.) - The Pinnacle was exemplary and well worth the extra cost. Yum. - Shipwide, the staff were great. - HAL's emphasis on music continues to enhance the experience. Lincoln Center Stage now shares the Queen's Lounge with BB King's, and they often performed two or three times a day. The new venue is perfect for their wonderful concerts; I attended 17 times. (The piano quintet currently includes the stellar string quartet ATLYS.) Punctuating a 14 day crossing with these concerts: thank you. - Cabins and storage are just fine. Our port side balcony cabin had direct sun most of the crossing: I actually used it often (a balcony has never been a priority for me). Of course the weather cooperated fully: temperatures were 60-75F for the entire trip - in December! In summation: as wonderful as it is to be on a cruise where you have no extras on your account at the end (Azamara, Regent, Seabourn etc.), HAL still delivers.

Holland America Delivers an Excellent Product

Nieuw Statendam Cruise Review by UESCruiser

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Verandah Stateroom

- Service in Canaletto and Tamarind was very slow

- One of the stationary bikes in the gym was out of order from the get go

- Use of the World Stage for solo performers is not optimal

Not bad for the first time out! Now for the really good:

- The Pinnacle was exemplary and well worth the extra cost. Yum.

- Shipwide, the staff were great.

UESCruiser’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Statendam price drops

Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VH 4060
The cabin is compact but with good storage for two people, and an ample bathroom with lovely walk-in shower. It was quiet and comfy and the great weather allowed for frequent use of the verandah.
Beethoven Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins