3. Norwegian Sky
The Bad: Let me start with the biggest problem of the Norwegian Sky - the odor of the ship. In some areas, you will most likely be hit with the strong odor of raw sewage (similar to what you may smell in any restroom at a gas station). In other places however, the odor will be much stronger and much more unpleasant. Take the Dazzles Night Club for example. When walking in there, you will only be greeted with the smell of a musty locker room. I cannot properly describe the foulness of Dazzles Night Club’s odor. It was to the point where my family could not go in there to watch the fun games and activities it had to offer throughout the night. Please keep in mind that Dazzles is Norwegian Sky’s equivalent of the Atrium on the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships. For those who have been on one of Norwegian’s newer ships, imagine the Atrium smelling like a gym locker room! We eventually discovered that this more than unpleasant odor was coming from Dazzles chairs, which were the nastiest chairs that I have ever seen! I wouldn’t even want those chairs in my basement storage room, much less on a cruise ship! Another major issue that we had was the odor we were greeted with when arriving in our cabin. Once again raw sewage overtook our tiny ocean view room. We quickly alerted guest services, who attempted to pour bleach down the sink where the odor was coming from. Eventually the issue was solved, but not without having to call down to guest services about 15 times. I will give guest services the credit they deserve and say that they handled this situation professionally and properly. For a lot of people, the biggest draw of this cruise is the free open bar, as Norwegian advertises this heavily. The problem is that the only good free drinks you will find that are the kid’s mock tails. All the beer and wine is cheap and/or extremely watered down. The shardina in particular was foul and practically undrikable. So, the open bar really isn’t a good value at all. Don’t expect the same quality of drinks as the other ships’ drink packages offer. The pool was almost unusable most of the day because new are paces over the swimming pool to prevent swimming. That’s right, it’s not an uncommon sight to see the pool covered at 3:00 pm! Also, they love to blare their music so loud that you can’t hear the person six inches from you. Not what I would call relaxing or fun! Also, the ship looks very dated in some places. Take Captain Cook’s for example. This bar should have been renovated 15 years ago. The decore looks like something out of 1975. Other places on the ship such as Placae and Crossings main dining rooms looked nearly as good as Norwegian’s newest ships. Also, the second of 3 stops on this cruise, which is Freeport in the Bahamas is by far the worst port I have ever cruised to! If the Sky has more to offer, I would have just stayed on the ship. The port was run down and chaotic and the ship docked very far from any fun places to see. THE GOOD: Norwegian Sky had exceptional service. We went on the Norwegian Getaway in 2018 and I have to say that Norwegian Sky’s service was much better. Our room steward was great. He was friendly, helpful, and always was more than happy to get us what we needed when we called. What else can you ask for? Also, the food was much better than expected. The New York strip steak in the main dining room was so good that I would have been satisfied if I had been served it at Cagney’s Steak House. The desserts however, were hit or miss. Embarkation was the fastest we’d ever experienced . We were on the ship in 15 minutes form arriving at the port. Disembarkation was equally quick. No compaints here. In conclusion, if you want a sort getaway that visits 3 ports in 4 days, don’t mind drinking cheap alcoholic beverages, or the datedness and odor of the ship don’t bother you, this cruise is for you. I still had a lot of fun and I don’t regret this cruise, let’s just hope that most of Norwegian Sky’s issues are fixed in its upcoming dry dock.

Norwegian Sky: The Good and Bad

Ages 13 to 15
Get Norwegian Sky price drops

Family Oceanview Picture Window
Cabin O1 9269
Cabin was cramped and dated. They souldn’t let 4 people stay in that room. Strorage was scarce. Bathroom was crusty and was in desperate need of a refresh. Shower had good pressure however. It was hard to get good pictures out the window because of all the condensation that was constantly covering it.

Cabin steward was great and helpful.
Norway Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins