3. Norwegian Jewel
Having sailed more than 100 days on numerous cruise lines such as Royal Caribbean, Carnival, P&O, Holland America, Celebrity and Princess the Norwegian Jewel was a floating biosecurity nightmare. With staff from officers, medical and security disregarding biosecurity and completely disregarding the company's own policy and procedures in providing a healthy cruise ship environment. In a party of seven passengers, three of us were struck down with the acute gastroenteritis outbreak, that is nearly half, so exactly how many passengers were affected I can only wonder. The Jewel had a recent refurbishment in Singapore and we had a mini suite, which in the end was the only saving grace of this cruise.Sailing from Sydney the ship was fresh with new furnishings and decor. Entertainment was fair with two good shows and the piano player was excellent. Food was good in the speciality restaurants except the Chin Chin. On the second day of sailing I was standing under a huge umbrella near the pool when it collapsed due to winds, the umbrella crashed down on my head,luckily I suffered only soft tissue injuries, but there was no follow up by staff on my wellbeing which to say the least was disappointing. People were being struck down with acute gastroenteritis in the first few days which points to passengers who sailed on the previous cruise and combined this cruise were probably the carriers. The first member of our party to be struck down happened 3 days into the cruise. She was isolated for 24hrs, her husband was also supposed to be insolation, but this did not occur and he was in fact allowed of the ship in different ports. Due to the escalation of the outbreak a day later when my wife was struck down she was isolated for 48 hrs. Meaning myself and her sister were also isolated for 48hrs in the cabin. Missed ports and security telling us to stay in the cabin was just infuriating and akin to house arrest. Our cabin had to be robustly cleaned and after 36 hrs not having contracted the virus I ventured to the buffet and within 8 hrs I was struck down with acute gastroenteritis. Another 48 hrs of lockdown with security again telling us we were confined to our cabin. So 96 hrs or 4 days of our cruise wasted,missed ports, frustrated doctors, unhappy staff and deprivation of liberty. I have stated the biosecurity failures of which I pointed out to both doctors and security both departments shrugged their shoulders with disregard. I was told to contact head office regarding this failure of policy and procedure that protects cruise passengers. It was the fact that 100's of passengers had their own drink bottles and flasks containing their own teas, herbs, tonics etc. These bottles/flasks were taken everywhere, on and off the ship, into toilets, into buffets, restaurants, everywhere. These bottles/flasks were refilled at the drink stations and if they were contaminated the drink stations would then be contaminated. When the status of Norovirus was raised and no self service of food was allowed, staff would take these bottles and flasks and refill them at the same drink stations for the passengers. This is completely in contradiction to the Norwegian policy of guests prohibited from bringing any bottled water or beverages on board the company's ships in either carry-on or checked luggage. Norwegian stated that that this policy brings the company in line with other best practices in travel security protocols. I contacted Norwegian for a refund, I basically was told to suck it up.

Norovirus Outbreak Disaster 96 Hours in Lockdown

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Brad J.

Brad J.’s Full Rating Summary

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB 11624
Cabin 11624 . Nice spacious cabin comfortably accommodated 3 adults. Great service from cabin steward while we were ill.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins