3. Seven Seas Voyager
Hi everyone: I have previously submitted reviews of our experiences on Crystal, Oceania, Seabourn, and Silverseas. This time we decided to try Regent Seven Seas. We had heard they are the best in terms of overall luxury. At the outset let me say two things: 1. We had a great time on each of these cruise lines. We were fortunate not to have experienced any disasters like lost luggage, getting sick, horrible service, horrible rooms, cancelled cruises, etc. Furthermore, the staff on each of these cruise lines was fantastic. 2. As I'll shortly discuss, my new favorite is Regent. (It used to be Oceania.) But this is subjective. I have spoken to others aboard this same Regent cruise that I am on, and a few prefer Oceania; a few prefer Silverseas, and a few preferred Crystal. Sorry! I know that doesn't help But as a chef on this cruise said: at this point, the differences are small. As he said, on Seabourn there is more free caviar, but on Regent, there is more free lobster tail. You get the picture, I hope. Now, on to the review: I have always stressed the food as the main topic I discuss, and the criterion I use to judge among all these top cruise lines. Your priorities may be different. While Silverseas did offer a choice of pillows that Regent did not, the food on Silverseas was my least favorite among these cruise lines. I had felt that the "expensive stuff"--like lobster, tuna, steaks, etc., was missing on Silverseas. For the amount we paid for the cruise, this was inexcusable. While the food on Crystal and Seabourn was better than on Silverseas, I had liked the food on Oceania the best. I think that I will now have to go with Regent as being best in the food department, but it really is too close to call. It may just be that I enjoyed the choices (menu items) on the 10 day Regent cruise more than those on the Oceania 10 day cruise. Regent recently added lobster tail as a daily choice on their dinner menu. Oceania also offers this. While Oceania also offers sushi and sashimi nightly, I felt it was always "sitting" in it's water as it defrosted, and was not that enticing. The sushi and sashimi on Regent is not served every night, but when it is, it is of a higher caliber. Regent also serves seared tuna pieces quite often, and they are definitely "sushi" caliber. Somehow I enjoyed dinners more on Regent than Oceania despite the fact that Regent does not offer lamb, aged steaks, pork steaks and tuna steaks every night as does Oceania. I felt the nightly menus on Regent were better. They offer more choices and more side dishes. The steakhouse, "7", on board the Regent Voyager is excellent as are the specialty restaurants on the other cruise lines as well. The steaks are aged and appear to be cooked in the same super hot oven that real steakhouses use to get that "crust." However, many guests were not thrilled with the other specialty restaurant on the Voyager, Charteuse. Tea time, however, definitely goes to Oceania. The pastries at Tea time on Regent are simply not as good as those on Oceania. However, Regent has a better selection of cookies than does Oceania. Most days for lunch, the grill is open on Regent, and you can choose from swordfish steaks, tuna steaks, salmon and tuna burgers, pork chops, lamb chops and steaks. This does come close to making up for the fact that these items are not served nightly on Regent as they are on Oceania. Aside from the grill, I think Regent had more lunch choices than did Oceania, but as I said: it's almost a toss up. Breakfasts are all similar: plentiful with the same options. I didn't find much difference. The ships' layouts are quite similar between this Regent and the Oceania ships we have been on. (Sorry, I forget their names, but they should be in my previous reviews.) The room on Regent is larger than on Oceania. And I think I am comparing like cabins. Regent has a separate sitting room with a couch, separated by a curtain, as did Seabourn. The Oceania cabin did not have this. Also, the shower on Oceania is comically small. On Regent, it is bigger and you get a full size bath tub as well. There is much more closet and shelf space on our Regent room than there was in our Oceania room. Service on all these high end cruise lines is the same as far as I can tell. The gyms were also similar. Same for pool and hot tubs, sauna and steam room. Internet is a disappointment on Regent as it was on all the other cruise lines. But, it seemed to at least work in terms of being able to check emails, etc. I seem to remember Silverseas internet being very bad, and Oceania's not much better. Excursions and alcohol, and everything is included in Regent. On Oceania, you have to purchase a beverage package and excursions are not included. My wife found the wine "pours" much more generous on Regent. and, since she bought the wine package on Oceania, this surprised us, since in essence each pour is free--so why wouldn't they pour a more generous amount? Entertainment is similar among the cruise lines whose names I have mentioned. To sum things up: many guests let the destinations dictate which cruise line they took, since they are all so similar, and each shines in a different way. My favorites are Oceania and Regent; my wife loves Seabourn. We were both disappointed in Silverseas. We felt Crystal has declined in recent years. I believe they were sold and this may be why, but they are still a top choice among many other passengers we spoke to. (And, in all fairness, many also like Silverseas.) Thanks for reading, Mike January 2019

Top of the Line

Seven Seas Voyager Cruise Review by 76mike

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Suite
Hi everyone:

At the outset let me say two things:

Entertainment is similar among the cruise lines whose names I have mentioned.

Thanks for reading,

Mike

January 2019
76mike’s Full Rating Summary
Get Seven Seas Voyager price drops

Concierge Suite
Cabin D 926
Spacious. Separate sitting room separated by curtain. Plentiful closet, drawer and shelf space.
Deck 10 Suite Cabins