3. MSC Divina
MSC offers some of the lowest cruise prices around. After 11 days on the MSC Divina, I know why. If you're considering a trip with MSC, review these points first! Waiter training: Even though English is not their first language, waiters should know all the food items that appear on the menu. Our waiters did not know the difference between Canadian bacon and regular bacon, and did not know what cantaloupe was. The attitude of most waiters on board was very poor. Whenever we made a request, they made it very clear that we were imposing upon them. For example, I ordered wine with lunch and when it came 20 minutes after the food and I inquired about why it had taken so long, I was told that there were many people to feed and the waiter had to stand in line and wait for the wine. There was no apology and the waiter made it clear that he felt I should not have asked the question. When we asked for salted butter, the waiter acknowledged our request and left, never to return. When I requested olives in my Bloody Mary, the waiter laughed and rolled his eyes. Even though I assured him I was not kidding and I wanted olive, they were never delivered. Another time, I requested green olives and got black olives. This kind of problem occurred at every meal. Forced set dinner seatings: No other cruise line has ever forced us to sit at the same table, at the same time, every single night. We were stuck with a waiter we did not care for, we were stuck listening to the same screaming child at the next table every night, and we missed the opportunity to meet different people. Sanitation: Instead of ensuring that all passengers entering the buffet used hand sanitizer, staff simply stood by as most of them walked past the hand sanitizer dispenser, which was troublesome to operate. Many people who did try gave up. Staff should dispense hand sanitizer to all passengers entering the play buffet as it is common practice on other cruise lines. There were no hand sanitizer dispensers near the elevators, as is common practice with other lines. In the fitness center, there was a sign requesting that people spray down equipment, but there was no spray. Sanitizing wipes should be distributed throughout the fitness center as is done on other cruise lines. Entertainment: Trying to get by with the same set of performers and no set changes on an 11 day cruise does not work. The set that is used every night back-lights performers with the lighted stairway behind them so that they appear almost as silhouettes for most of the performance. This was by far the worst entertainment we have experienced on any cruise. Food: The food quality was much lower than we have experienced on any other cruise line. While some dishes were generous portions, particularly meat dishes, many of the fish dishes had exceedingly small, thin, dry portions. Surprisingly for an Italian ship, the pasta was largely tasteless, except for an excess of salt. The shrimp fetuccini I was served had exactly two very tiny shrimp in the entire dish. Free drinks are not free: You will be forced to sign charge slips for a few cents “gratuity” every time you have a drink, a cup of coffee, or a bottle of water. This was extremely irritating. It was a lot of paperwork and hassle. I wonder if MSC has calculated the labor cost in processing all of these ridiculously small charges? Too many people for this size ship: The buffet was chaotic and overcrowded. When passengers must wait 20 minutes for an omelet every morning, one would expect the line to provide more omelet stations. They don’t. The dining room was overcrowded. The tables are so close together that the waiter bumped me every time he squeezed between my chair and the one from the table behind me. In our case, they also crammed seven people on a table that would have been tight for six people. We were literally knocking knees every night. Stateroom: The stateroom was approximately the same size as balcony staterooms are other cruise lines, but there was substantially less storage space. The bathroom, however, was very well-designed and the shower did not fog the mirror. Don’t expect hair conditioner or hand lotion to be provided. They are not. When we requested these items, we were flatly told they are not provided.

WHY MSC CRUISES ARE CHEAPER

Forced set dinner seatings:

Sanitation:

Entertainment:

Food:

Free drinks are not free:

Too many people for this size ship:

Dandoc’s Full Rating Summary