3. Norwegian Getaway
Amazing ship. Fantastic service and entertainment. Very clean and plenty of attention to all of the details. The food was very good. This was my first cruise (I went solo during Christmas week), so perhaps some of my gripes would be non-issues for some, but here are the things I did not appreciate: 1. No free refills on soda. It’s $3.75 for a fountain soda and I ordered it with a meal. There are no free refills unless you’ve purchased the soda package. I expected refills for the duration of the meal. It costs them next to nothing and I might have one soda per day, so the soda package just wasn’t worth it. 2. Forced gratuity added to everything, including over-the-counter service (e.g. coffee). I’d likely give them more than the $0.61 cents automatically added, but you don’t get a choice. 3. Expensive (and weak) cocktails. They started at $9 and went up to $14+. Again, add gratuity to that. Maybe I wouldn’t mind as much if there was enough alcohol in them where you could taste it. 4. Prices for excursions were marked up significantly from local availability right off the ship. The fairest prices on the ship were for the Lavazza coffee bar/espresso drinks. A large Americano was $3 with 3 espresso shots. Totally worth it by any standard. The shows on the ship were very well done. I didn’t see the wine musical, but Burn the Floor, Million Dollar Quartet, and Cirque Dreams and Steam (my favorite) were all phenomenal shows. Cirque was $30 and came with a very good 3-course meal. I didn’t make it to the comedy club, but I caught Ryan Wingfield at the Finale Show on the last day and he had good jokes considering the family audience. I explored only a limited number of dining options, but the best non-premium food was at the noodle bar (Shanghai’s in the casino) and Tropicana. The Garden Cafe buffet was great, with lots of specialty options, but pass on the turkey breakfast sausage links. The waffles were great but the pancakes were dry. The real star was the mocha French toast. The sugar free syrup was a thoughtful option. The fitness area was nice. There was a spin class room, an exercise class room, a weight room, and a bike/treadmill room. There may have been ellipticals but I’m not sure - I walked through once. Dumbbells up to 75 lbs, two sets of dumbbells under 30 lbs, the usual chest/back/shoulder/leg machines, a vertical (not angled) Smith machine, adjustable angle benches, static weight barbells (no plates), medicine balls, kettle bells, etc. The pool was nice, but small. The hot tubs were crowded, but less so in the 21+ Spice H2O area. LOTS of chairs for laying out... so many! One of the hot tubs had broken jets. The water slides were great! Short but a lot of fun. The Spice H2O parties every night were a blast, as long as the music was good (most of the time it was). It ended at 1:00 AM and a lot of people went down to Bliss to continue the party until 2:00. It was a great way to connect with people you may have met during the week. I enjoyed the experience and would do it again, but enough things irked me where I’d explore other options beyond Norwegian next time. Overall, it was a fair deal.

Great ship, cruise, and service. Poor pricing policies.

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by jrz302

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window

jrz302’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window
Cabin OA 11700
The stateroom was extremely nice. I was upgraded to a handicap accessible room, which was relatively large with a big bathroom. I had a smelly shower curtain which was resolved immediately after I shared the issue with the staff. Plenty of hangers.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins