3. Amsterdam
MS Amsterdam Grand Pacific & Asia Cruise from Sept 30 – Dec 21, 2018 Our background: Couple in our early 70s, well travelled, cruised on 15 different lines including HAL. We pick cruises for their itineraries. This 82 day cruise was the longest we had ever taken and we are pleased to say that it was also one of the best. Fellow passengers: Not surprising on such a long cruise, more than two thirds were 66 and over. Most were avid HAL cruisers and many I spoke to like long cruises on the Amsterdam. Ship: In good shape; frequent cleaning going on inside and maintenance outside. Crew: The hotel staff is definitely the best we have ever encountered. On other ships, it is often just a few members who go out of their way to be helpful. On the MS Amsterdam, the warm and friendly service was consistent. Everyone in the Lido buffet restaurant, the dining room, and the Neptune Lounge went way beyond what we are used to from other ships, including the Hapag Lloyd luxury line. Nothing was too much for our waiters, tea and honey when I had a cold, spicy sambal when I thought an Asian dish needed more pep, crispy dinner rolls, and you name it. Food: I believe the food budget was higher on this cruise than on our previous 14 day b2b cruises on HAL ships. We are picky about authentic taste. We were happy with the European dishes that tasted just like in the Old Country. There was daily sushi and an Asian counter in the Lido, but also all the American favorites. Daytime activities: There were so many to choose from that every passenger could find several to enjoy. I went to water color, arts & crafts, and Tai Chi taught by Master Cathy Chen, but there were many more options. My husband played bridge organized by a bridge instructor. All the presenters were interesting with topics on the regions where we travelled. Port information speakers were excellent. We had wonderful cultural ambassadors in Australia and from Fiji to Hawaii. Courageous passengers learned to dance the hula and to play the ukulele. Conclusion: We are looking into booking another HAL grand cruise.

Great Grand Pacific & Asia Cruise

Amsterdam Cruise Review by Floridiana

• Sail Date: September 2018
  • Destination: Transpacific
  • Cabin Type: Neptune Suite with Verandah
MS Amsterdam Grand Pacific & Asia Cruise from Sept 30 – Dec 21, 2018

Ship: In good shape; frequent cleaning going on inside and maintenance outside.

Conclusion: We are looking into booking another HAL grand cruise.
Floridiana’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Amsterdam price drops

Neptune Suite with Verandah
Cabin SA 7028
Cabin: We had suite 7028 and enjoyed the extra service on the navigation deck. The balcony had a lot of space; the refrigerator was filled with sodas that we replaced with the water bottles that were brought daily. The cabin was large enough for us with ample storage. We have enjoyed more modern décor and more sophisticated storage cabinets on newer ships of European lines, but we were happy with this cabin. The stewards made it spotless. The suite comes with free laundry which is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The laundry looked better than at home.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Suite Cabins