3. Island Princess
1. Food - Poor selection and sometimes cold in the main dining room. Throughout the ship, the food was mostly standard fare. We ate one night at the Sabatini and we were not impressed. The food selection was limited in the main dining room but it did improve towards the end of the cruise. Their coffee is wonderful and I wish I knew what they used! On the other hand, the Horizon Court Bar charges to warm up milk with their Espresso Machine Steamer and that is ridiculous!!! I also thought there was a bit of penny pinching and charging for standard items like water. I understand charging for alcohol and specialty items but not for water! The Chocolate ice cream cones weren’t very good. The Piña Coladas were great. 2. Service - In general, it was very good but dinner service was slow at times during the first few days. It greatly improved as the days progressed and our waiters really tried their best to speed up the serving of our food. In my opinion, the waiters in the main dining are understaffed. We did complain one time to the Supervisor about the food arriving late and cold. He came back the next day to see how things were going but that was it. Overall, the waiters on our table (#161) were very attentive. There was a table next to us that knew one of the Supervisors and they were extremely demanding of the waiter’s attention so that may have played a part in that table getting quicker service. Crew was friendly and attentive. One of our breakfast waiters, Nelson, was wonderful. 3. Room - Was clean and pretty standard (A324 - Deck 12). The pillows are very soft and although they provided us with 4 pillows, I think they should have two that are a bit firmer. There was only one chair in the cabin so one of us had to either sit on the bed or lay down. I would have liked an extra chair. Next time, we’ll book a stateroom with a sofa! Dennis, our cabin steward was ok. He kept the room clean, provided us with extra towels. He didn’t clean the balcony glass doors until we were in the last port (Grand Cayman) and we couldn’t really look out unless we opened the door since there was so much salt water on the glass. The room was a bit hot at times. There were some tiny holes in the blackout curtain liner. Being on the 12th floor, there was some noise coming from upstairs with equipment or stuff rolling around during the day. 4. Ship - In general, a ship this size was ok. There were few, if any, lines or waiting. Sitting for meals was quick and tables were always available. Embarkation for us was a breeze since we didn’t show up until about 1:30-2:00 p.m. so zero lines. Disembarking was well organized and fairly quick. The ship did not feel overcrowded. Wish they had BIGGER stabilizers! Princess has an onboard website that you can log on to see your bill, check out the daily events and send messages to other passengers. There is no charge for this. I would love for them to add a “ding” or a “red dot” or some indication when a message has been received!!! Every time either of us sent a message (I’m in the Library; I’m back in the Cabin; etc), we wouldn’t see it until much later when it was irrelevant! We’re even thinking of taking walkie-talkies with us on our next cruise!!! The Sanctuary was too expensive at $40 per person per day. I refuse to pay this much money for a lounge chair and some quiet. The staff at Guest Services were terrific. The Future Cruise Director was a bit offputting. It seemed everyone was holding a bottle of Purell and hand washing was greatly encouraged. This was great and Princess is really trying to keep their passengers healthy. Casino is small, the Boutiques limited but that was ok for us. We did not use the Spa, nor Room Service. 5. Entertainment - The Production Shows were TERRIFIC!!! Mr. John Loney, Cruise Director is a ball of energy and extremely efficient at what he does. He was everywhere!!! We weren’t able to catch other shows since they conflicted with our dinner and/or other events we wanted to attend. This was probably one of the best parts of this cruise. 6. Shore Excursions - Falmouth, Jamaica was uneventful. Cartagena, Colombia was too short and would have loved to explore it more, especially overnight. The street vendors just ruined the experience since they’re so “in your face”. They just don’t go away even when told “NO” repeatedly. We speak Spanish so language was no problem. We were planning to stay longer onshore since there was time but decided to just go back to the ship. Also, the tour guide was ok but just took us to a few sights and then to the jewelry stores that he was obviously getting a commission. The Panama Canal crossing was great and we also took an excursion to the Pacific Ocean. At Limon, Costa Rica we just went ashore to walk around and although there isn’t much to see, it was nice to not get bombarded with street vendors. We were pretty much left alone to wander around, have some coffee and be in an area that hasn’t been totally affected by tourism. Grand Cayman - we just stayed onboard since we’ve been there before. Overall, this was a very good cruise!

Nice Cruise Overall

Island Princess Cruise Review by CruiseMoreAli

Overall, this was a very good cruise!
CruiseMoreAli’s Full Rating Summary