3. Mariner of the Seas
Left out of Miami on Dec 28. This was a family cruise (4 people over 50, 3 in their 20s/30s, and 1 5 YO), so we had two balconies next to each other (6388 and 6390), as well as a new interior room. Embarkation: EASY. The new terminal is great. Fast, attentive, wonderful. Disembarkation: Same. We did self assist and left at 8:30 after breakfast. Ship: while the updates are nice, they have NOT made their way to the staterooms. The overhaul makes the ship look newish, which is good. Dining rooms look lovely. Service: not one attendant on this ship smiled or seemed to care about our experience. We actively had some give us dirty looks (when returning towels or not ordering a drink by the pool). We had one server kick over our drink, look down, and then leave. By far the most depressing service I've ever had on a cruise. Cabins: We had the 6th deck aft balconies that have the deck in front. No one ever goes on them, so we didn't mind that "obstruction" at all. Room was a decent size, balcony a great size. HOWEVER — the room was in poor shape. The handles to the balcony were covered in tape and paint, it was SO HARD and LOUD to open the balcony door, the balcony was always dirty, the carpets were stained, all of the doors jiggled constantly, there are only two outlets in the room, one in the bathroom (bring an international adapter to add one more). Bed was rock solid (I didn't mind this).Remote never worked, etc. The INTERIOR room was brand new and much nicer (but nothing great, honestly). Food/drink: good: Dinner in the main dining room was lovely. Well prepared, tasty, and included. We didn't do specialty dining due to both cost and lackluster menus. We should have done lunch (see below), but those restaurants were still too expensive and completely empty at lunch, leaving the few diners to look sad and alone. bad: The windjammer has no change in menu for breakfast or lunch. I despised it by day 2. Very little was healthy for lunch, and there isn't even a basic vinaigrette for salad. I'm not a picky eater, so this was really disappointing. All I ever want to drink is plain soda water, which is usually available on the ship's water machines. On Mariner you don't get to pour your own beverage, so I was pretty sad. Activities: We really did enjoy laser tag! Free is the right price for it, and it was a blast. Sky pad was fun, too. Not worth a long wait, though. Escape room seemed like a good idea, but booking was a pain and we ended up not doing it due to that and the $20 pp fee. Pools were FREEZING. Hot tubs were packed and warm :). The solarium was the best for adults, but still FREEZING cold pools. My Alaska cruises were warmer... Kids camp/adventure ocean: what a disappointment. There were enough kids to do fun activities, but each day they just watched tv or colored on their own. Our kid LOVES kids camp so she didn't mind too much, but she said she was bored after two hours. She also was COVERED in marker — her clothing, everything. No one told us, and there were at least two other kids drawing all over her. The counselors (except one) never smiled or talked to my kid at drop off, despite her trying to make conversation. Overall this may be the cruise that makes us stop taking Royal Caribbean. I've usually been happy, but this was below expectations for this price point. We have recently had some lovely cruises on NCL and we'll be using them next time.

Almost good-to-great cruise

Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by kipwingerjr

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony

Embarkation: EASY. The new terminal is great. Fast, attentive, wonderful.

Disembarkation: Same. We did self assist and left at 8:30 after breakfast.

The INTERIOR room was brand new and much nicer (but nothing great, honestly).

Food/drink:

good:

bad:

Activities:

Sky pad was fun, too. Not worth a long wait, though.

kipwingerjr’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Get Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 6D 6388
The INTERIOR room was brand new and much nicer (but nothing great, honestly).
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins