3. Westerdam
Previously cruised the Med on New Amsterdam and had a great cruise. Sadly this did not meet our expectations. We spent 2 days in Hong Kong before sailing as my husband wanted to sail around Hong Kong harbour on a Star ferry. Embarkation was very smooth and quick though we weren't asked to fill in a health questionnaire which was unusual. The hygiene on board left a lot to be desired. We have been on many cruises with different cruise lines. This is the only one where passengers were able to enter the dining areas and return on board without sanitising their hands. I mentioned this to the nurse who said they would increase sanitation if there was an outbreak! Entertainment in the theatre was very poor. We left and didn't return when a pianist, supposedly having played on Broadway, started playing 'Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head' on a ukulele and singing out of tune! The Port talks were excellent and it was good to be able to go to deck 10 for more 1st hand info. Our restaurant waiter was not the happiest person and on a couple of occasions quite rude. He quickly took plates away and brought the next course before everyone on the table had finished. I pointed this out which he did not like. The food was average. Lido food was ok but a bit repetitive. A disappointment after the New Amsterdam 3 yrs ago. Despite booking a disabled cabin and giving all details to HAL stating that my husband was a full time wheelchair user, unable to walk, not 1 port had accessible transport or shuttle and many no taxis available. He travelled to Asia for the 1st time on a special holiday and couldn't go on any tours. He should have been told this when he booked. The ship was so quiet in the evening. After dinner, unless you went to the Blues Band (limited wheelchair space) or pianists which were next to the noisy casino, it was like the Marie Celeste. Sadly I don't think we will cruise with Holland America again.

Quarantined with Norovirus for 4 days!

Westerdam Cruise Review by adisguise

• Sail Date: November 2018
  • Destination: Asia

adisguise’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Westerdam price drops

We had a disabled cabin as my husband is unable to walk and is a full time wheelchair user. The cabin facilities for him were very good and the wet too was well set out.
The luggage arrived quickly in our cabin and we had lovely housekeeping staff. Our accessible cabin was a good size but there was no way someone in a wheelchair could access the balcony on their own. The balcony door was VERY stiff and difficult to open. The TV had very few TV channels which were needed as on 19 Nov, 8 days into the cruise, I developed Norovirus and was confined to my cabin for 4 days. I had water or juice for the 1st 2 days then could introduce a very basic bland diet which room service found difficult to provide. They would only give what was on the room menu despite my being told by the medical staff to insist. There should be a special menu available for those that contract this vile illness. It wasn't until the end of the cruise that I could eat properly. I weighed less on return home than when I arrived.
I missed 3 tours one being Cambodia where we only visited 1 port. I understand that some of the cruise entertainers were also ill along with other passengers and one woman I spoke to in the Lido said she was confined to her cabin for 2 days with an upset stomach but did not tell the medical staff. This makes me think there were many more. Very worrying.
  Westerdam Deck Plans