3. Norwegian Star
I will write a free association ramble, sorry if I repeat myself. The food was very disappointing in all areas. The public dining rooms as well as the specialty restaurants. I had 3 very good surprising meals. Moderno, Bistro and one dish served one day during lunch in the garden cafe. But overall the food really was very disappointing. Terrible onion soup even in Cagney's. The mac and cheese was not cheesy at all. I can go on and on but in the end given how much you folks say how NCL is all about the fantastic food and in reality the food was pretty bad overall. Our room cabin was 5650 for DEC 21st 2018 cruise. The placement of the bed was right next to the fold down bed and myself at first kept on banging my head on the fold down bed. After the 3rd time I changed sides with my wife and she also banged her head 3+ times. What a bad design of the room. The room was smaller then even the smallest inside cabins of the other cruise lines we have been on. The worst part of the room was that it was under the kitchen and almost throughout the entire night I could hear some kind of very loud compressor going, items being dropped on the floor, barrels or something very large being rolled around over our heads.. who knows but the noise was at times loud enough to wake us up and keep us from sleeping a few hours each night. The large auditorium where you have the shows.. who ever installed ALL the seats have put them at a weird angle such that when your sitting on them it feels like your going to slide down them onto the floor. Of course you wont because there was no legroom so one is wedged in pretty tightly.. So yea a very uncomfortable auditorium.. Best seats in the house was the handicapped seats and they went fast. By the way the entertainment was really great. Tim the comedian was funny as all heck. Your staff from the captain down to the folks cleaning the room I can see work really hard. Unfortunately they cannot compensate for the physical issues of an older cruise ship. Of course the food can be improved upon. Portion sizes were small at best. Sometimes salads came with barely any salad in them and the main course was dished out like one was in prison. Bottom line it was very clear they were doing their very best to keep their food cost under control. So such thing as an american sized serving.. of course one can always order more food.. still it shows they want to save money not only on serving size but in quality of the food as well. OMG the french fries were the absolute worse in both the main dining hall and up stairs in the pool area grill. I am not sure how those french fries were made but really they tasted like eating dried out card board.. Why even make the effort only to put out such a bad product. I know its all about saving money!!! Overall NCL at this time would be that last cruise liner I would book a cruise on in the future. The poor layout of the room. No chairs in the room, only a makeup stool, really?? Banging our head on the fold down bed because there is no room to climb out of the bed on that side. A bathroom with sharp edges where one could be hurt if they slipped or the boat rocked to hard. The food was cheap, and it was evident of the cost savings. No Smoked salmon / LOX for bagels just a smoked salmon/cream cheese mix. Sauces on all dishes were extremely light, just the bare minimum even in the specialty restaurants... on and on this went during the whole cruise... And the noise, electronic throbbing/pulsing of some type all night long in our cabin from the kitchen above.. anyway, we paid about $1k per person for the trip, another $240 total for the specialty restaurants which really were bad except for the french and brazilian, paid about $400 for massages which my wife loved, excellent message staff. Another $1k to travel. So we paid at least $4k all in all for just a below average cruise. My expectations were much higher after all the boasting you folks did about both the ship and the food. This ship and the food really was in the minor league and truly not ready for prime time.. Nice effort but not in the same league as Celebrity or even Princess for that matter. You asked and now you know. Value for money? I won't be coming back.

They try hard but really miss the mark.. Cheap poor tasting food...

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Calyxte

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window
I will write a free association ramble, sorry if I repeat myself.

Value for money? I won't be coming back.
Calyxte’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Star price drops

Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window
Cabin OB 5650
OUR ACTUAL BEDS WERE TRULY EXCELLENT - I WILL BUY ONE OF YOUR MATTEROLL BLISS GOLD BEDS

Our room cabin was 5650 for dec 21st 2018 cruise. The placement of the bed was right next to the fold down bed and myself at first kept on banging my head on the fold down bed. After the 3rd time I changed sides with my wife and she also banged her head 3+ times. What a bad design of the room. The room was smaller then even the smallest inside cabins of the other cruise lines.

The worst part of the room was that it was under the kitchen and almost throughout the entire night I could hear some kind of very loud compressor going, items being dropped on the floor, barrels or something very large being rolled around over our heads.. who knows but the noise was almost that we could not sleep,

Overall NCL at this time would be that last cruise liner I would book a cruise on. The poor layout of the room. No chairs in the room, only a makeup stool, really?? Banging our head on the fold down bed because there is no room to climb out of the bed on that side. A bathroom with sharp edges where one could be hurt if they slipped or the boat rocked to hard.
Deck 5 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins