3. Norwegian Getaway
Our cruise was not horrible, we did have a fantastic time overall, but for the reasons we did have a good cruise I feel we would have had that experience on any ship. This was my 7th cruise, first time on Norwegian. I have been on one RC cruise & 5 Carnival. We decided to give Norwegian a try because I had heard good things and we were looking to try something different. Different we definitely got, bit not in the way we were hoping. Freestyle, I don’t get. Nothing freestyle about this cruise. If you don’t have reservations you either wait a good while or you don’t go. How is that freestyle? I actually prefer having a set meal time at a set table with the same servers. They get to know you and treat you well. Different servers every night is very impersonal. And given that my daughter is Vegan, that caused a huge issue. No matter that we even talked to the Asst. Maitre D & preordered meals, there was still issues every other meal - they didn’t have what she ordered (despite she ordered it from the menu they had given her for that day), they couldn’t find the Vegan menu (one time we were even told they did not have after already having seen & ordered from it several times) & told that her order has been lost, with no attempts on their part to rectify or accommodate for their mistakes, This is the #1 reason we will not be back. But again I felt the overall service was impersonal. I did not even know who our cabin steward was till midweek & only at that point because I noticed her name was listed on our TV. But she never came by to introduce herself, as all our Cabin stewards on Carnival always have. We have always developed great relationships over the course of the week with them. She was always just the friendly lady who serviced our cabin only, Nice & great job cleaning, but I really like a more personal touch. Also I felt the complimentary food options were lacking & again with my daughter’s Vegan diet, nothing was labeled on the Buffet & when she would ask questions no one either knew or was willing to take the time to find out for her if something had been prepared with meat or dairy products. Also I felt the entertainment was lacking. Carnival & RC have a different show in the theater every night, with plenty of seating and therefore no need for reservations. Now for what we did enjoy. The cruise ship was nice & clean. I enjoyed our ports & excursions (though we Book 3 of 4 independent of the cruiseline). One of our ports was Harvest Caye, Belize, Norwegian’s Private port. It was very nice, we had a great day enjoying the beach. Lot’s of fun activities and neat shops. We also paddle boarded for the first time which we thoroughly enjoyed, We really enjoyed our dinner at the Specialty Italian restaurant, La Cucina. Best meal we had on board and by far the best personal service & only o e that seemed to get my daughter’s diet, our server, Jessica. Also, we stayed in a minisuite. Room & balcony same size as a regular, but the bathroom was worth the little extra we paid for it. The bathroom was at least twice the size of a standard cruise bathroom & the shower double as well, with six shower heads, so that was awesome! Also a double sink. So overall we had a basically good time, but customer service is huge to me. It makes or breaks whether you will get repeat business from me & they sorely failed in the case of the way they ha does my daughter. They treated us as if her dietary needs were an inconvenience & not their problem. As her mother & a paying customer, I find that inexcusable.

First & Last Norwegian Cruise

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by pdp67322

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

This is the #1 reason we will not be back.

pdp67322’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA 14172
The cabin was very nice. Now I heard some people complain that midship rooms on this floor were subject to noise from the pool deck above late night and early morning, but we did not notice any of that.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Costa Maya
    First we were taken on a nice air conditioned bus the the Chaccoben Ruins for a tour. Then we were taken to a local modern day Mayan village where we learned to make tortillas and had an authentic Mayan lunch. It was such a great experience and very nice that they were easily able to acomodate my daughter’s Vegan diet.
    We were also provided with water throughout the tour and our tour guide Eric was fabulous! Highly recommend Native Choice. They offer many of the same excursions as the ship and at a cheaper price.
    View All 12,794 Costa Maya Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Costa Maya Cruise Port Review
  • Jeep Tour
    We started out going to a place where they sold Black coral jewelry. I could have really done without that part, but it was just a brief stop. Then we went to a Tequila Factory. More like a place where they tell you about how Tequila is made, but it was very interesting and we got to sample several different kinds. The flavored ones were really good.
    Then we went to the West side of the island, where we stopped st many scenic sites before going to a Playa Del Mar. The cost of entrance was paid for under our tour as well as our lunch at the restaurant there. We had a nice lunch and then enjoyed the beach for a while before heading back to the ship. We were also provided with a color of bottled waters and canned beer during our excursion.
    It was a great day!
    View All 133 Jeep Tour Reviews
  • Miami
    We got there the night before, stayed at the Hilton Downtown. Great hotel, beautiful view of the city and bay from our window, so we could see the port. We’re able to walk to a place for dinner & breakfast.
    View All 2,395 Miami Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Miami Cruise Port Review
  • Roatan
    We had our own private driver for the day, took us around the island, telling us about it and the history. Told us about various things to do. We visited the Sloth Sanctuary which was awesome, highlight of our cruise. We also visited the Chocolate Factory, best chocolate we’ve ever had. Then he took us to several great scenic places before returning us to the ship. Shawn was our driver. He was great, very knowledgeable having grown up on the island and very acomodating. We had planned to go to the beach after the Sloths, but then it started raining, so he recommended the Chocolate Factory and so glad we did not miss that.
    View All 12,794 Roatan Cruise Port Reviews