3. Norwegian Escape
The cruise that wasn't suppose to be. Our original booking was an 11 day Caribbean cruise on the Breakaway leaving March 23 out of NY. Problem Breakaway isn't returning to NY in 2019. Offered replacement on the Escape was Bahamas which we had just done. This cruise was to be for our 35th Anniversary on March 24th 2019 so we wanted something more then a 7 day that we had just done. There go 12 day Southern on the ESCAPE December 9th 2018. After many Itinerary changes we set sail on what is now my second favorite NCL ship, sorry ESCAPE DAWN still has my heart. Embarkation and disembarkation were the smoothest we have had on NCL. No problems on either end of the cruise even though we left late to try and avoid a major storm and returned early due to our 3rd medical emergency of the trip. The ship was great. Very easy to get around on. Lots of options for what ever you had in mind. Only exception is if you're a smoker such as my wife. Smoking areas are getting smaller and fewer on all ships. Our cabin 15756 was awesome, plenty of storage and the deck is one of the best secrets on this type of ship. Our cabin is the last of the Spa balcony and the next cabin is a mini suite. The ship juts out further for the mini suits and therefore our balcony goes from a regular balcony room to the mini suits and is angled out giving us a much larger balcony. With a large overhang above us we are able to enjoy our balcony rain or shine. Only draw back with the balcony is they took away the outside light. Dining, NCL has me a believer in specialty restaurants as we have found comp dining to have bad service. NOT the case on the Escape. Taste Savor and the Manhatten Room all had good food with good service. Taste having the best. The garden Cafe I was disappointed with very hard to get around and find things food was poor. Here is my WARNING stay far away from the early riser breakfast at Margaritville. Worst food I ever had on any ship. Here is what I thought of the specialty restaurants we went to. Teppanyaki is good the show and food are both OK, land base restaurants of this type are better but they have less restrictions. I give this a 3.5 out of 5 Bayamo seafood restaurant extremely disappointing. Selection was very bad food was poor price was extreme Bayamo gets a 2 out of 5 LA CUCINA food and service was very good 4 out of 5 LE BRISTRO was everything I have come to expect from a great French restaurant, great food and service. 4 out of 5 MODERNO if you have never experienced a Brazilian Steakhouse this is a MUST. Great food very service the grilled pineapple is to die for.4.5 out of 5 CAGNEY'S it is NCL's very best of the best 5 out of 5 THE CHOIR OF MAN food is good the entertainment is great the beer is cold and keeps on flowing. For entertainment we didn't do a lot. CHOIR OF MAN was great, went to the art auctions and lectures they were good. Spent a lot of time in the Thermal suite which is AWESOME. Alvin the cruise director which we saw with The Not so New Newlywed Game we found rude insulting and not funny. Felt bad for the couples that were on stage. Alvin hands down worst cruise director we have had on any ship. Service overall was good. Wait staff in the restaurants was very good. Bar service in the casino was fair Crew was helpful and attentive. Our cabin steward was fair, we have had much better on our other NCL ships. Ports were very easy to get on and off the ship. Excursions are good a little on the high price side but still good One final comment here for wasn't sure where to but it. I remember on all my other NCL ships you could get your picture taken in the restaurants and then later decide if you wanted to keep the picture or even have it in your picture book which is our preferred way to keep our memories of the cruise. Here you had to decide to keep it or not then and there at the end of your meal. I am not sure if this is the new fleet wide or not but would like to see it go back to the photo shop so you have options. In closing we loved the cruise and I would do it again

Holiday Escape

Norwegian Escape Cruise Review by Spark1959

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Spa Balcony Stateroom
The cruise that wasn't suppose to be.

LA CUCINA food and service was very good 4 out of 5

CAGNEY'S it is NCL's very best of the best 5 out of 5

In closing we loved the cruise and I would do it again
Spark1959’s Full Rating Summary