3. Grand Classica
My wife and I choose this short cruise to Freeport, The Bahamas for this annual Christmas getaway. We were not looking for fancy or extravagant - just a quick getaway. It's a two night cruise. The ships are somewhat older, having been purchased from another cruise line and then refurbished. You are not going to get the glitz of the more established cruise lines. BOARDING AND DISEMBARKATION: The only parking I saw approaching the terminal was valet parking at $19/day. Boarding went smoothly. The only interesting note was that we were told we could not take our weekender bags onboard with us - they had to be delivered as the crew did not want suitcases in the dining area which was open. Of course, we went to eat lunch and promptly saw people rolling their luggage through the dining area. Disembarking was more "interesting". As we had a suite, we were supposed to have a priority exiting the boat. When we arrived at the designated area, we found a large crowd formed into three lines with little direction from the crew. Once the signal to leave was given, it was every person for themself as all three lines attempted to converge into one line. So, I was happy I had not purchased the priority boarding/disembarkation package. ROOM: We had a suite. There are 10 suites on board - 5 to port and 5 to starboard. The room itself is decorated in dark wood paneling and is rather dark until you turn on the lights. The seating area is separate from the bedroom by virtue of two sliding doors. The bed and sofa were both comfortable but low to the ground. In addition to the sofa, there are a couple of hard wooden chairs. The TV only had about 7-8 channels. The balcony was reasonably sized and comfortable. The bathroom was nicely laid out. FOOD: The buffet food was neither great nor poor - its buffet food. The first night we ate in the steak house and the food was outstanding. Our waiter, Milan, was very attentive. The second night we ate in the main dining cabin and the food was very good there. ON BOARD SHOPPING: The duty free for cigarettes, cigars and liquor was well stocked. The jewelry and watch shop was less well stocked with a very small selection of Invicta watches, a larger display of Seiko watches and a modest display of jewelry. The general store stocked items which you would typically find ashore during the excursions. ENTERTAINMENT: There was a tribute to Motown the first night which featured a talented group of entertainers singing and dancing various Motown hits. The second evening we attend a Tina Turner tribute showcasing a young lady who had a awesome voice and was good at getting the audience into her show. The adult comedy show ranged from corny to funny (I'm glad I had not paid extra to see this guy - I would have been annoyed). I should note that seating in all of the entertainment areas was very comfortable. All in all, if you are looking for a quick and inexpensive getaway to Freeport, this is an excellent value but you need to remember that this is not the Queen Mary. The food is good, the accommodations are comfortable and all of the crew members try very hard to make sure you have a pleasant experience. With that caveat, I could recommend this cruise line to friends. Having been to Freeport two years in a row, I doubt I would do this cruise again but note that this is more due to my familiarity with Freeport rather than dissatisfaction with this cruise ship.

The Spirit Airlines of the cruise industry

Grand Classica Cruise Review by flagolfer55

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Bahamas

BPSocialTeam, Social Media Team @Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line has responded
Thank you for making BPCL your preferred source of travel for your holidays. It is with great pleasure that we welcome back our loyal guests year after year. Your review of your recent experience allowed us to see the ship through our guests eyes, and for that we thank you. It is our hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you again.
flagolfer55’s Full Rating Summary