3. Regal Princess
With 3 stops in a week, this 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise included 3 sea days as well, a proportion which I enjoyed. The ship alternates Western and Eastern Caribbean cruises throughout the winter, so a 14-night cruise is just a matter of taking the two 7-night trips back to back. Princess seems to be still working out the bugs and glitches with their new Ocean Medallion technology. I enjoyed using the Medallion, but sometimes had to use the cruise card instead. You really need to carry both at once during this transitional time. Regal Princess has more than enough space in the public areas all over the ship. The only time I found myself in a crowd was when I attended the champage waterfall. Otherwise, elbow room was all around. I never had to wait for more than a minute or two to be seated for a meal, whether in the main dining room, the buffet, or the specialty restaurants. Same story everywhere: plenty of room in all the bars, lounges, and walkway areas. The best part of this cruise was the quality of the staff service. At every point where I interacted with the staff, people were unfailingly friendly, helpful, prompt to serve, and getting all orders, etc., right. The one mistake that did happen in a week was very swiftly fixed. It was a major contrast from my last 2 cruises on other Princess ships, where the service was pretty slack by comparison. The Regal Princess team really had their act together at all times. Although there were ample tiers of lounge chairs all around the central pool area, I preferred the quieter, adults-only Retreat Pool on Deck 17. Plenty of chairs here, too, and just the place for those who don't want loud, blaring music around the clock. The pool water was pleasantly cool at all times -- a nice feature in a hot, tropical environment. The ship had some really good musicians assigned to the Piazza (atrium), the right kind with mainly acoustic players which don't interfere with or override conversations in the various venues. The food quality in the main dining room was a bit hit or miss -- they seem to be relying more on the contents of freezers and jars than they used to. The buffet was great with ample assortments of food at all meals, and multiple serving stations to spread out the crowds. Service in both venues was both quick and attentive. At every stop there was a great assortment of different excursions to choose from. Of the two that I took, my favourite was the 5-hour tour all around St Maarten -- our guide, Manny, was both funny and informative, the stops were frequent, and the views were excellent. Would I go again? I've already booked another cruise on Regal Princess.

Excellent Trip on a Spectacular Ship

Regal Princess Cruise Review by kenny654

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

Would I go again? I've already booked another cruise on Regal Princess.
kenny654’s Full Rating Summary
Get Regal Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB A404
The cabin was a little narrower than mini-suite cabins on the older ships of the Grand Class. The balcony was definitely shallower, and it was easiest to sit with a chair turned sideways, facing along the side of the ship. Once the new beds get installed, it'll be a first-rate room. On the plus side, there were more drawers, shelves, and closet space than ever before -- a major benefit with 2 or more people sharing the room. The bathroom was spacious, and the new shower on a hose was a great improvement on the older, almost rigid shower head. Temperature control worked perfectly throughout the trip.
Marina Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Princess Cays
    I'd booked a glass-bottom boat tour, but it was cancelled (along with snorkel and scuba tours) because windy weather had stirred up too much silt. This can happen anywhere. The price had been refunded to my account by the time I got back on board. If you're not a beach person, Princess Cays has nothing to offer you. Shopping and catering are both limited. Even if you want to hit the beach, the place isn't very big for the size of the larger modern ships, and the loungers on the beach have to be very close together. Everything except sun, sand, water, and lounge chair costs extra. Check out the costs ahead of time.
    View All 561 Princess Cays Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Princess Cays Cruise Port Review
  • Island Tour
    5-hour circle tour in an air-conditioned coach. Multiple stops well chosen for ease of bathroom breaks, shopping, views. We drove around the whole island, seeing both French and Dutch parts. 50-minute stop at Maho Beach right by the airport, and got to see several planes both coming and going. Interesting shopping in Marigot, although the guide told us that vendors would barter with us -- they wouldn't. Our guide, Manny, was funny, personable, and knowledgeable, and gave us plenty of information and ideas for future return visits. Very worthwhile.
    View All 365 Island Tour Reviews
  • Island Tour
    Most tour vehicles are open-sided truck-buses. Steep steps to climb in and out, and they ride -- well, like a truck. Tour had just two stops, at Mountaintop (50 minutes to shop, drink the original banana daiquiri, and enjoy the view over Magen's Bay). Ten minutes would have been plenty for me. The second stop was at an overlook above Charlotte Amalie, shorter, but also featuring vendors. Then you have to walk through a shopping plaza to get back to the ship. Not much of a tour, and the worst kind -- the kind where they have to point out the post office and the high school because there's nothing more interesting to look at. Not worth the price.
    View All 264 Island Tour Reviews