Marella Celebration Cruise Review

Escape to the Caribbean

Marella Celebration Cruise Review by Mrslynnie

• Sail Date: Dec 2018
  • Destination: the Caribbean

I give this cruise, the ship, the staff, the food, everything EXCEPT TUI, full marks.

If Tui step up their game, and put customer service instead of money first, then there would be very little to moan about.

Yes, my gripes are more like moans. I was determined my first ever cruisewould not be spoiled by a petty nasty Destination Services person. Dear Julie, oh how I will always remember our time together.

I travelled with my blind husband. A large ship would have been difficult.

So, the ship. Small. Compared to some monsters that moor up beside us, our little clipper was a tiny craft, but, she made up for it by offering the BIGGEST group hug every day.

Our cabin was basic, a small porthole window, but, spotless, comfortable, and a happy steward greeted up with big smiles every day. He made our bed twice a day, chocs on the pillow. The next days entertainment itinerary every evening to read.

And boy were we entertained. Shows, games, lectures, lessons, loads to occupy anyone lost for something to do. The show team put on energetic performances with lots of song, dance, feathers and sequins twice a night. Guest comedians too. With table service inclusive drinks from smiling staff who never found anything too much trouble.

Ok food. Well. It was hot. Plentiful. Tasty. Varied. We began by using the Lido self service restaurant, but by day two, we discovered the silver service restaurant was inclusive and made more sense for us. You were treated to wonderful service, ask for your own table, no need to share if you don’t want to. Breakfast, a served up number of choices, never empty juice, tea/coffee. Lunch. Dinner, all choice of menu, all good, and order what you want, some guests ordered double servings!

There are small gripes.

The shops on the ship are expensive. And the continued push for diamond international purchases at port. The excursions are expensive. And watch out for Julie. We missed an excursion, it took us 1.5hrs to get off the ship on day one, the excursion left without us. No refund, your fault. She refused further discussion. £76. No way..I phoned their UK office, 3 days later she refunded us. But she wasn’t happy.

Another gripe. Sunbeds. Same as in hotels. Never a sunbed to be had, towels everywhere!

Oh well, enjoy the quiet of the cafe, bar or reading rooms while the towel folk play sunbed roulette.

You will read that the ship is old and tired. Yes...but...not tatty. Always clean. Wonderful cheery staff. And amazing entertainment. Taylor the entertainment manager, knows his stuff, and seems to be everywhere!

We have to say, that, we did not enjoy the Caribbean, for many reasons. We took many excursions, taxis, and found nothing worth returning for. But, others found secret beaches and lovely places to go. We didn’t. The ship was our holiday, and the Celebrity was wonderful.

We got stuck on our last day while Gatwick Airport dealt with its drones. An extra day onboard enjoying the hospitality, there were worse places to have been stuck. And the crew, staff and Taylor, made us all welcome, and kept us informed on progress.

This is where Tui redeemed themselves. Finding planes, and coach transport back in the UK.

Our first cruise. Not our last I hope. Would not blink if I find another Celebration cruise I fancy!

Mrslynnie's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Basic 0663

Tidy, clean, great steward, plenty of storage. Bathroom small, but clean.

Mrslynnie