Crown Princess Cruise Review
2,116 Reviews

Mediocre exxperience at high price

Crown Princess Cruise Review by Sarah HHH

• Sail Date: Dec 2018
  • Destination: the Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview (obstructed view)

This was my eleventh cruise but my first on a Princess ship. I'd heard very good things about Princess, so despite the higher cost I'd decided to try them. However, my family's experience on board certainly did not justify the higher ticket price and our experience overall ranked as less enjoyable than the vast majority of our previous cruising experiences. These are some of the issues that contributed to our dissatisfaction. Aggressive AC in common areas of the ship. The very low temperatures made it too cold for us to sit for long in the dining rooms, theatre or other common areas even though we wore long pants, sweaters and jackets. Our stateroom was a really bad joke. It was meant to be ocean view but in fact was lifeboat view. This was despite booking 11 months ahead at full cost and being promised a cabin upgrade. The pillows were all feather and gave me no support, thus preventing me from getting comfortable and stopping me from falling asleep. I'd asked for foam pillows as soon as I checked in but none were available. The duvet/comforther was a heavyweight winter tog made of some synthetic material, but the AC in the bedroom was weak and I kept overheating. These bed issues prevented me falling asleep or staying asleep thus making me chronically tired. In addition the bedside cabinet drawers were so stiff that I could not use them. The food was significantly below average for cruise ships. I am far from a fussy eater but could barely stomach some of the food that I tasted. However, this was a blessing for me since I lost around two pounds over the ten days cruise, despite drinking alcohol. The entertainment was frankly boring. The evening performances were mostly singing, there was no dancing, circus or magic. The movies under the stars were very badly selected. On the last evening there was such a boring documentary about 4 dames, that not a single person was left watching after 30 minutes. The teens club had such a nasty Ukrainian woman as counsellor, that my kids decided on the first day that they would no longer attend. In any event there were no decent teens activities scheduled. All in all, a lacklustre experience for which I significantly overpaid.

Sarah HHH's Full Rating Summary

Oceanview (obstructed view)
Cabin OV E507

Lifeboat view, a little tatty, bedside cabinets too stiff to open, bedside lamps not working.

Grenada

Go to and from the port to the beach via water taxi

Curacao

Go to the distellery and beach and see the synagogue

Sarah HHH