3. Explorer of the Seas
This was my third cruise with my family (wife and 8 year old daughter). My thoughts are that overall, Explorer provides a solid cruise experience. While some of the bells and whistles are absent, all of us had a great holiday. The dining experiences in particular, were consistently of a high quality. On realising that I liked Indian food, my waiter at the Sapphire dining room ordered me an Indian main every night, off the menu. Little touches like this were consistent. Having tried all the specialty dining with the 3 night package, I think Giovanni's table probably had the best experience but my daughter thought Sapphire was where it was at. The entertainment staff did well too. Trivia, live music and poolside activities provided us plenty to do. We did find that trivia was very popular and we arrived about 15 minutes prior to get a seat. Evening entertainment showed signs of brilliance with excellent singers, dancers and a booked out ice-skating show. Some of the tribute bands were less great though. One caveat - Adventure Ocean was packed this cruise. We had to arrive 15 minutes before opening to get a space. I haven't had that experience on Ovation or Carnival Spirit, despite school holidays. The Christmas experience was well done. There was a parade, Santa Claus, gifts for the kids and plenty of activities throughout the day. My wife and daughter participated in the choir, which they really enjoyed.

Christmas on the Explorer

Ages 7 to 9
Get Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 1D 8562
Our stateroom was well positioned. Mid ship, mid deck. Not too far from the lifts but far enough for peace. There was a bunk above the standard bed for a child. A balcony is worth it on this cruise.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins