3. Viking Mekong
We chose this cruise because I have always wanted to return to Vietnam after servicing there in 1970-71. Being able to visit Cambodia and Thailand were added benefits that provided a very unexpected and memorable experience. Our first night destination was Hanoi which proved to be a very nice experience. The Sofitel Legend Metropole was beautiful and the service and restaurant were outstanding. The next morning we departed the hotel on the additional trip to Ha Long Bay. We experienced beautiful scenery, a fun trip on a junk with a nice lunch and a trip to a cavern that was a total surprise. Then we were delivered to our hotel by boat. The Vinpearl Hotel was luxurious and welcoming on its own private island. The next morning we visited a cultured pearl farm and learned about the technique and method used to culture a pearl. Then we were off back to Hanoi. We enjoyed and felt safe going out at night to walk through the city to enjoy all of the weekend festivities around the lake. Our next adventure was to fly to Siem Reap, Cambodia. Visiting the many temples was unbelievable. The pictures you see just don't do them justice.The tour guides, both Viking and local for the entire trip were very knowledgeable and entertaining. After many memorable experiences on land we embarked the Viking Mekong. The ship was beautiful on board (not much to look at from shore). Stateroom was very nice and comfortable, food on board was the highest of quality and the service provided made us feel like we were the only people on board. Perfect! As mentioned earlier our guides were absolutely amazing. The care and concern for our well being was far beyond our expectations. We we got to Saigon our guide, Smiley arranged for me to visit the village in Vietnam that I worked in during the war. The day was a day I will treasure the rest of my life. I felt very proud of what we accomplished and the progress that had been made since 1971. All of the hotels, restaurants and excursions were the best of the best! Handling of luggage and moving us from place to place was perfectly executed. I would make this trip again and again.

Bucket List Fulfilled

George 002’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Mekong price drops

Standard Outside Stateroom
Cabin C 210
The cabin was clean and comfortable. The head was one of the larges and nicest I have seen on board any ship. The location was perfect for boarding and leaving the ship as well as proximity to the dining room. The teak wood was very nice throughout. The shower was large and had great water pressure. Storage for large suitcases was under the bed with easy access.
Middle Deck Outside Cabins