Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review
1,874 Reviews

Wonderful ship, flawless service, some tips on food

Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by andernutz00

• Sail Date: Dec 2018
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: AquaClass 2

My partner and I sailed on the Reflection over the Christmas holiday, 2018. This was my second time on Celebrity, but my 18th cruise (have done Princess the most, two in RCL and one on Holland). Observations and tips:

1) This is the sexiest ship I’ve ever sailed on. Atrium extends from the main floor to the top of the ship, so natural light pours through the center of the ship. Decor is chic and the ship is spotlessly clean. Even public restrooms are always perfect.

2) Food quality is generally good to excellent. Murano (specialty restaurant) is exceptional. Blu (dining that comes with AquaClass) is very good (along the lines of country club dining or food at a very nice wedding). The buffet is phenomenal for a buffet - pizzas have perfect crusts, salad bar ingredients are fresh, fajitas available every day are amazing, and many other items (Indian, roasted turkey, spatzle, etc.) were really good. The only letdown was the Main Dining Room. I admit to a sample of one (we went for lunch one day), but it was on par with hospital or airplane food. Totally unacceptable. That being said, given how good the buffet is (which you’d expect to be a step down) it is fully possible that we both ordered the wrong things and/or it was an off day.

3) For is, the alcohol package was worth it. You can often get the classic package on promotion. You can upgrade to premium onboard for $14 per person per day.

4) Martinis at the martini bar are the highlight. Go around 4:15-4:30 to get seats for their “show”. They are entertaining. You’ll need to premium package to get drinks included here (most are $12).

5) Wine lists are excellent, and your sommelier will do wine pairings by course if you ask. If you ask, tip them. They deserve more.

6) If you’re debating between interior, oceanview, and veranda, the veranda is worth it if your budget affords. Interior cabins can increase seasickness if you are prone. If you have a veranda you will spend more time in your stateroom, enjoying privacy, shade, fresh air, etc.

7) Pay attention to what’s above, below, beside, and across from you for cabin placement. Mid-ship tends to be more expensive because old people don’t like to walk far to restaurants and entertainment, but cabins aren’t any better. You might think twice about a cabin below a kid’s club or a gym, beside a bar, near the elevator (not desirable unless you’re in a wheelchair), etc.

8) I booked AquaClass and cannot comment on whether it was worth it. In my extensive experience at Blu and one experience in the Main Dining Room, I’d say the upcharge was worth it. That being said, you can buy specialty dining packages and I think you could probably eat in a specialty restaurant almost every night of the cruise for a similar cost.

9) Murano is worth it. The passion fruit souflee is the best dessert I’ve ever eaten.

10) Peeking into cabins I couldn’t tell any difference between AquaClass, Concierge Class, or a regular veranda.

Hope this helps!

andernutz00's Full Rating Summary

AquaClass 2
Cabin A2 1517

Great cabin in quiet location. Occasionally could hear feet above us (the kids club is there), but hours are limited so not too early/late.

Kayaking

This was more arduous than I’d expected. Captain of our boat was a daredevil - I’ve never gone that fast on the water. Sea conditions were rough and some of the guests had to be rescued snorkeling. Not sure the outfit Celebrity uses has the best judgment. Kayaking was similarly rough and a couple novices were at risk of being swept out to sea.

Snorkeling

View All 79 Snorkeling Reviews
San Juan

The fort is right by the cruise port. It closes at 6. Easy self-tour.

andernutz00