3. Norwegian Dawn
I paid and went on this cruise to "reward" my sister-in-law (SIL) after a difficult year. She had never been away anywhere except to visit family. I thought it would be a good opportunity to get to know each other better. Everything was going wonderfully... I have muscular dystrophy, so I travel using a cane and take a wheelchair. The ship embarkation went off without a hitch. We arrived at our room with balcony, and everything was fine... TIP: Bring a powerbar, because there is only one plug in the bedroom... helpful for plugging in chargers for various devices. I had to use the ship clinic the first evening after being bitten alive by sandflies in Puerto Rico the night before... I found the doctor good and thorough. I have food allergies, and for the most part, the ship was able to adapt, although they were very limited for desserts... I was pretty sick of lemon sorbet after a few days. But overall the meals were very good in the two main "free" restaurants (I did not eat at the cafeteria). After a difficult argument with my SIL and some very public problems, and given I am disabled and stress affects me, the ship's passenger services found me another room, and the staff made a point thereafter to make sure I was okay. The last day, the staff ensured I was helped with the wheelchair, since I no longer had help... the staff helped me right to the taxis. I should say I did have a good time in the end on my own... met some wonderful passengers, took part in some of the trivia and other activities, loved the cafe and the two women who worked there... both very nice and professional. Went on a nice excursion in Tortola (Land and Sea). I used the spa services, and was very happy, especially with the acupuncturist, a doctor from India, well versed in conventional and holistic medicine. She helped with the healing process of the sandfly bites and in helping to deal with the stress of the situation. I would go again, but obviously with another person next time.

Staff helpful in helping me feel safe after a difficult situation with roommate

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by twcanada

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

I would go again, but obviously with another person next time.
twcanada’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Dawn price drops

Balcony
Cabin BC 9036
This was the room I was originally in... good room, but definitely was glad I brought a power bar since there was only the one plug in the main room. It would have been useful having a plug available under the TV by the table. For my needs, there was adequate space. The steward, Reu, was excellent, and helped in handling the situation.
When I changed rooms, I went to 4555, an inside cabinet... granted, no balcony or window, but at that point I just wanted peace of mind, and the room actually had more space to walk around versus 9036 in the way it was set up. Clean and met my needs. The steward was also good. A bit noisier than where I had been in 9036, because I was under some room where music was played, so I could hear the bass, but I managed with earplugs.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Antigua
    Took a cab, requesting one beach, but the driver ended up taking us one beach further, and we were glad we listened... it was beautiful, less populated than the other one would have been, and the restaurant served a very nice Antiguan-style oxtail with rice and beans (I had only had Jamaican style before). The driver returned at an agreed-upon time and took us back to the ship.
    View All 1,546 Antigua Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Antigua Cruise Port Review
  • Jeep 4X4 Adventure
    I was originally booked on the turtle swim, but since I had open bites on my legs, it was not a good idea... I switched to the 4x4 Green Monkey excursion. It was fun... our driver could have told us a bit more about what we were seeing (the other driver apparently was more talkative), but overall it was good, and it was fun seeing the monkeys and other animals up close.
    View All 44 Jeep 4X4 Adventure Reviews
  • San Juan
    We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott, which was right on the beach, and not far from the cruiselines. Kudos to the taxi driver, who had to try three different ways to get to the cruiseship, because various entrances were closed off that day. Important: The sandflies were heavy on the beach, and I ended up badly bitten and infected. They will not bite where you are covered.
    View All 3,767 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review
  • St. Lucia
    Took a tourist van to a beach... we were told that we would only be waiting for ten minutes, but it ended up being almost an hour as they tried to fill the bus... other than that, the destination was nice, the staff very helpful, and I had a soothing aloe vera massage, which helped the sandfly bites I had gotten in San Juan.
    View All 1,387 St. Lucia Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Lucia Cruise Port Review
  • Tortola
    We went by boat toward the neighbouring islands and a bit around Tortola, and then went by bus all through the island, seeing some incredible views. I had never been to Tortola, so I was happy to be able to see so much in a few hours.
    View All 12,789 Tortola Cruise Port Reviews