3. Nieuw Statendam
Food was great in the Dining Room, Lido Marketplace, Afternoon Tea, Canaletto, NY Deli, Grand Dutch Cafe, Gellato shop. Very few hiccups in the food areas. We mainly ate dinner in the Dining Room. We mainly ate breakfast and lunch at the Lido Marketplace. The food at these venues was really excellent! Can't beat the variety at the Lido Marketplace from crepes, bagels, omelets, etc. at breakfast to salads, pasta bars, carving stations, oriental stirfry, at lunch. We had room service several mornings (skip the scrambled egg option). There are many bars, our favorite was the Ocean Bar mid ships on Deck 2 where Roldan, Fern (Fatima), and Patrick were our servers for the whole cruise! They took excellent care of us! We had an inside stateroom on the Deck 6. Great size for 2 people We had storage space to spare. HAL was still working out some kinks with the TV information system. TV system included many movies; very few TV "shows"; limited news. But the Navigator available on your mobile device on their local intranet worked very well. You could set up the people you were traveling with and message them throughout the cruise (important on 9 continuous sea days). We did NOT get the internet package as we wanted to be relatively device-free. But many others around us still got decent internet service. Service was fantastic in all areas! Entertainment: four different music genres (Rock 'n Roll, Pop, Chambermusic (violins & pianos), and Jazz). Excellent! Especially loved Atlys (string quartet) with piano accompaniment. Good lectures. Trivia contests! We had a daily sea-day meet-up with craft ladies via a forum under Cruise Critic. We stopped at Cartagena, Malaga, and Madeira. No excursions, just walked off the ship. We took a taxi at Cartagena, but walked back with no difficulty. . We used the HAL provided bus (extra cost) at Malaga and Madeira--well worth it; too far for us to walk. Malaga just shopped and had lunch. Madeira--after the bus dropped us off, we walked to the cable car ride. Purchased roundtrip cable car ride and yellow-bus-island tour for about $56 Euros for 2 adults. DO THE CABLE CAR in the morning! The clouds started descending from the mountain tops around 1pm and the cable car stops running! Loads of shopping and cheap sandwiches (E2.5 for a Iberian ham hero) at the shops along the streets. If you want one of the wonderful Portuguese cork handbags (any shape or size), the best prices were actually in the Malaga port building--you could get off the ship and just shop right there within steps o the ship! I should have gotten my bag there, but waited for Madeira and paid more for one. We had BEAUTIFUL weather for the crossing! Stops went well. On the whole, truly a fantastic voyage. I would definitely go again and my husband is sold on HAL! I saw only a few children on board. They do have HAL CLUB, but I couldn't see what was in it. It's a controlled area, as it should be. Of course the spa was excellent and there were several "free" mini facials that were held during the cruise.

Excellent ship, excellent food, overall great fun!

Nieuw Statendam Cruise Review by SKMurphy

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Standard Interior Stateroom

Service was fantastic in all areas!

I would definitely go again and my husband is sold on HAL!

SKMurphy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Statendam price drops

Standard Interior Stateroom
Cabin L 6201
For 2 adults, we had storage to spare. We had a really nice size bed. Very comfortable. We chose an inside stateroom as my husband likes it dark to sleep, but he said next time we will get a verandah. It was hard to determine day from night when the room is so nice and dark and cozy.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Cartagena (Spain)
    We took a taxi to the main restaurant area as we are not great walkers. We had food and looked thru shops and easily walked back to the ship. Very nice. I got Euros at Guest Services. I'd say 250 Euros took care of my 3 stops, depending on how many items you buy.
    View All 423 Cartagena (Spain) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cartagena (Spain) Cruise Port Review
  • Madeira (Funchal)
    Right as you get off the ship, a HAL-provided (cost of course) bus takes you into town center. In the morning there was a nice dance group that did a native dance routine. GET A MAP! The roads twist and turn A LOT! We walked (long) to the cable car ride, bought a roundtrip cable car ride and a Yellow-Bus island tour bus pass for one day for about 56 Euros for 2 adults. DO THE CABLE CAR RIDE IN THE MORNING! The clouds start descending and they will shutdown the cable cars when the top of the mountain cannot be seen from the bottom! We took the Yellow Bus ride around the island (1.5 hours) with uncomfortable earbuds and multi-language choice narration. That showed us what stops we wanted them to drop us off at (like the Marketplace and NOTE the HAL bus location number); told the driver and he dropped us off at the number. From there, we walked the streets again back to the HAL bus pickup location (our choice of walking). I found a pretty embroidered table runner and a small cork bag to use for embroidery. One of the street front stores had Iberian ham sandwiches for 2.5 euros that were excellent. Got the bus back to the HAL ship. There were some booths with goods right on the pier. That's where I bought my bigger cork bag; vendor was good about mixing Euros and US currency there at the wharf.
    View All 651 Madeira (Funchal) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Madeira (Funchal) Cruise Port Review
  • Malaga
    At Malaga, you walk thru a Port building to get to the buses, but they sell the tickets right at the beginning of the bldg! So get your tickets if you are going to town and get a map from them! I took the HAL-provied bus from the the port area and it drops you off across from the main shipping areas. A short walk to the main attractions (churches, etc.) and restaurant and shops. TIP: If you want one of the famous cork handbags, get them here! The port building had really good prices; not necessarily a great selection, so check it out BEFORE you go into town. I missed out and bought my bag in Madeira for a more expensive price.
    View All 461 Malaga Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Malaga Cruise Port Review
  • Rome (Civitavecchia)
    I arrived in Rome the day before the cruise and stayed at the NH Roma Villa Carpegna with breakfast included. It was very nice. HAL had three buses that picked up at that hotel on cruise day. My travel agent didn't know this, so we arranged separate travel about 35 Euros each adult (transfer from hotel). It cost about the same for airport to hotel. Both my husband and I have been to Rome before and didn't feel the need to do the tourist thing there.
    View All 2,132 Rome (Civitavecchia) Cruise Port Reviews