3. MSC Divina
We had the opportunity to try a new cruise line at a reasonable price with a group of friends so we decided to give it a go. WHAT A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. EMBARKATION: There was absolutely very little help or none at all in assisting on the embarkation. It was extremely crowded with the people hearded like cattle. There was a 6 family group of us which included our son-in-laws dad who required the use of a scooter to get along. There was no way that the would have been able to maneuver around a winding line of over 300 people. After a search, we found someone to ask for assistance and were told that we could move forward into a side line which wasn't well documented. We finally made it through that nightmare. SANITATION: After sailing on 15 cruises, we had seen sanitation improve greatly on the ships throughout the years requiring sanitation dispensers around the dining areas and various other locations and requiring the use of them as people walked in. No such thing on this ship. There were sanitation dispensers at the entrance to the food, however, there was no one insuring that they were being used. Many times, they were not working or didn't have any sanitizer in them. There was no warm water in the restrooms to insure clean hands and noticed many people walking out without even washing their hands at all. We’ve seen the crew wiping down walls but never the handrails on the stairways or walkways. FOOD (BUFFET): The food in the buffet was the poorest ever seen. There was little variance in the selection. It was basically the same for lunch and dinner which included hotdogs, hamburgers, chicken, and pizza. There was a carving station, however, when I stopped to investigate, the chef had a hard time trying to slice whatever meat he was carving at the time. Needless to say, I walked right past. There seemed to be no organization to the buffet as to the layout of the food. If you wanted a salad, you had to wonder around several stations to find your condiments. Several of the passengers were rude and seemed to cut in line at their own convenience. FOOD (BLACK CRAB); Rather than fight the unorganized crowds at the buffet, we ate the majority of our meals in the Black Crab. Unfortunately, this was slightly a step above the buffet. For breakfast, we always had to ask for water and coffee. The service was not what you would normally expect at a sit down meal. We were at a table of six and had placed our orders. Five meals were delivered and I patiently waited for my eggs and bacon. After waiting at least 15 minutes when everyone was almost done with their meal, we finally grabbed the attention of a server. Shortly thereafter, he brought me salmon and cream cheese which I definitely did not order. He returned later with my eggs after everyone else was done eating. On another occurrence, my wife received her eggs (just 2 eggs) and asked where the potatoes and meat were since the menu said that eggs were included with potatoes, meat and toast. The server informed her that potatoes and meat had to be ordered separately. After telling him that the menu said it was included, he began arguing with her and telling her that she was wrong. We called a supervisor over and he clearly stated that it was included when eggs were ordered as stated on the menu. He had the server come over and apologize to my wife for basically calling her a lier. I don’t know if the underlying fact is that the staff needs a lot more training or if the supervisors have to be more involved to insure things are moving smoothly rather than just standing around doing nothing other than appearing busy. ENTERTAINMENT: Very little variation in the entertainment onboard. Every night was performed by the ship crew. Same acrobatics over and over with singing. Got tired after watching a few nights. DISEMBARKATION: Another nightmare. We carried off our luggage to avoid the huge crowds at the end. Once again, no guidance, just follow the masses. After departing the ship, were told that Americans and Canadians get into the left line and all others into the right line. What we didn't know that after moving an hour in line, the left line led into a single elevator while the right line led to the escalator. No attendants at the end of the line to direct you to your choice. Now people were positioning themselves which was total chaos. Thank goodness we finally made it off the hell hole and never to return. Overall the ship was beautiful with plenty of areas to sit and relax. In addition, this had been one of the smoothest sailing ships we were ever on. Unfortunately, this goodness does’t outweigh the bad.

WORST CRUISE EVER (11 Nights)

MSC Divina Cruise Review by port-of-call