Celebrity Summit Cruise Review

Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Dmterp

• Sail Date: Dec 2018
  • Destination: the Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2C

First time cruising but with my Celebrity Elite brother. I was prepared for the ship looking beat up as it is due for refurb in March 2019. I wasn’t prepared for the lack of service staff or the fact that the staff we had seemed to be new to restaurant work. Neither was my brother. We hypothesized that Celebrity took all the senior servers and sommeliers over to Edge and are using Summit as a training school. Don’t bother to eat in the MDR after 6. Or wait until very late. And get your drinks yourself.

Food in the MDR is OK, the wine list and prices are reasonable. The portions are designed to prevent waste which is good for the environment but not as fun. If the quality were higher and there were more than three courses, the portion size would matter less. The cheese plate is laughable - right off the buffet sandwich station.

The gym is small but very up to date. The public areas like a Marriott or Sheraton. The entertainment is energetic rather than polished. The whole feeling is that people are eager to please even if they’re not sure how.

Seasoned cruisers probably already know that the “Port Shopping Seminars” are a sham if not a fraud. The one shop we took our VIP card to had no idea what it was. And the advice that loose diamonds were the best way to protect assets in an economic downturn had me laughing out loud.

So I’m looking into Viking or Crystal - maybe then I can get away from the endless up charging.

Dmterp's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2C
Cabin 2C 8025

Very nice, as expected. Bigger than my college dorm room and much better views. Why are there no outlets near the bed? I had to get an industrial extension cord held together with tape to use my CPAP.

Dmterp