3. Marella Discovery
We decided on the itinerary, Eastern sunrise,as india was a place we'd not visited, and, knowing the ship had formarly been one of Royal Caribbean, we figured it would be familiar. usually the buffet would be at the aft end of a ship, but on discovery it was at the forward part. They had a good variety of dishes which would suit most people. We learned that the previous itinerary had experienced several ports being aborted dur to engine troubles. and our departure was some hours later than expected.We were told that the calls at mumbai and Mangalore would not take place because the ship needed to be in Cochin by a certain date, in order to get the problem sorted completely. The ship seemed to make better speed than expected; later the captain announced that things had improved and we would be able to stop at Mangalore after all. for the first time we had opted for an inside cabin, because there was such a huge difference in the prices of inside and outside, since we didn't intend staying in the cabin all the time. I think that when we'd passed inside cabins that had the door open, they didn't look too bad; but it slipped my mind that with no window, the room was almost pitch black,so the lights needed to be on at all times,unless we were sleeping. Our evening meals were in the main dining room,where there was an arrangement for sharing a table,and it was possible to meet up with different people each night. it wasn't until the end of the cruise we learned that some asked for a table by number,and kept it every evening. the menus were varied, but as we'd found on other ships the plates had a good portion of meat or fish, but only a small amoint of vegetables On the sea days there was a professor who gave a talk about the way the land masses moved over the centuries, creating continents and islands. There were the usual workshops covering different hobbies,and also an Indian group,showing how to dress in a sari, and learn some Indian dance steps.The evening shows were very good; but in the second week someone decided to increase the volume of the singers' mikes,so the voices were shrill screeches. Even with my hearing aide turned off,it was still deafening. A lot of passengers commented on how hard it had been to complete the indian Visa needed and even the transit one for Sri Lanka caused some problems; some people had paid for a visa,although the transit was free, and some didn't get a hard copy. This was where the confusion started. Each person on the Reception desk gave a different answer to questions asked by passengers. Written information said everybody must provide a copy of the transit visa, or entry would be denied. One told me I had to take my phone to the port terminal, link to a hot spot and go through my emails until I found the one that had a visa attachment; I was to forward it to the ship and then they would give me a print out. I told her I had checked my emails for over two weeks prior to joining the ship and knew there were no emails from Sri lanka officials. A different person at Reception said there were many others in the same position as we were, and they were talking to the authorities to get something worked out. we were given a form to fill in our details, together with copies of our passports. Later on we were told to take the forms back to reception,and when it came to going ashore,we sailed throughimmigration. on the morning of our departure from the ship we learnedthat Gatwick was closed,and various stories spread, First of all we were expecting to be calledwhen it was time to diembark, thenthe information said to wait anywhere around the ship, We decided to go down to the ganway to ask when we'd be called,and were told we could go straight off; our bus number wasn't going for some time, but we could get on another one, so we left earlier for the airport.procedure through customs and security was very quick and before we knew it we were in the departure area. The plane was late getting in,and it seemed a long time before passengers and luggage were unloaded. eventually we went on to the plane. Just before take off, there was a a chat from the chief pilot. due to Gatwick being closed down again,we had to make a detour. It was the first time the new route had been taken, and there would not be enough fuel to complete the journey,so we had to stop at Burgas in Bulgaria. Then it was hoped we'd be given the airport we had to go to, hopefully a London one. I guessed Stansted, which proved to be right. Our luggage took ages to come through the carousel and we heard an announcement telling us to go to the information desk. We didn't know where that was, sowe all made our way to the nothing to declare exit. there we found taxi drivers, arranged by Tui to take people to Gatwick where their transport had been parked.We set off, only to see notices that M25 south was closed. once again we detored along country roads, going over QE2 bridge,and up to the Gatwick junction. Luckily we had booked a room at a Premier Inn, and it was almost 5.30 am when we climbed into our beds for a couple of hours sleep.After breakfast at 9.0am we drove home.. I found an email from tui to give some feedback; so i thought I'd give my opinion about their admin,because whoever composed the information was not clear in the way it was put, and when i tried to send it in my email, there was something wrong with their site, which seemed on a par with the written info. We didn't see many dinner suits on the Gala night,and things were much more casual. Sadly, our opinion is that we won't be rushing to do another cruise on Discovery

Confusing information

Marella Discovery Cruise Review by Murfee33

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Asia

Murfee33’s Full Rating Summary
Get Marella Discovery price drops

Not a lot of room for two people, and lighting was rather dim,especially round the dressing mirror.