3. Norwegian Gem
Our recent cruise on the Gem was mix of hits and misses. The highlight for us was that we upgraded to a suite. Our cabin was a Aft Penthouse located on Deck 8. I was very nervous about noise from the wake and the Bliss Nightclub. Neither was ever a problem. Our Butler and Stewards were wonderful. Our cabin was always made up and turned down whenever we went out. The extra perks of having a concierge, private breakfast and lunch, priority boarding and disembarkation are priceless. If you have the chance and it makes financial sense for you, I highly recommend upgrading. One interesting note about bidding for Upgrades. We were chatting with our cabin neighbors. They shared with us that they did not bid for their cabin. They were called by the Upgrade Fairy and offered an upgrade for far less than we paid to bid!! So folks the Upgrade Fairy does exist!! It was a little sad to us that we paid $750 more than our neighbors for the same experience. Honestly we will bid again if the opportunity arises because it is so worth it to us. Just wanted to debunk the myth that the Upgrade Fairy has flown away. I had read many reviews mentioning problems with the bartenders. Sadly, I have to confirm these problems do exist. The best bartenders on the ship are located at the Atrium Bar and the worst are at O'Sheehan's. The others were a mixed bag. We were met with rude indifference at O'Sheehan's multiple times. We don't expect Disney Happy everywhere we go but we do expect polite/ interested service. It was very off putting. The private breakfast and lunch at Moderno and Cagney's were wonderful!! The quiet elegant meals were outstanding. The servers were attentive and knew who we were after the first meal. We ate at Teppanyaki, Cagney's and Le Cucina. Loved them all. The buffet had a nice selection that seemed fresh and varied. Seating however was very chaotic especially when we couldn't use the outdoors. We only ate at Magenta once. It was fine. Nothing special. The Entertainment was a little boring. This may be a phenomenon of being on a smaller ship. We've been on the Breakaway twice and I think the size differences led to less options on the Gem. We played BINGO and Deal or No Deal several times. We also did martini and wine tastings. All of those options are for a fee. I realize that they need to be and would be on any cruise line. I can see where someone travelling on a budget would be a little challenged to stay engaged. The stage shows were SoSo. The singers are outstanding!! The other performers & dancers not so much. The dancers were so out of sync it was almost embarrassing to see. Also the theater seats are so uncomfortable and many are broken. My conclusion is that we probably wouldn't sail on the Gem again. Not because we hated it, more because we found we like the larger ships. Our next cruise is on the Escape in May. Can't Wait!!

Hit & Miss Cruise

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by LVCruiser65

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Bahamas
Our recent cruise on the Gem was mix of hits and misses.

LVCruiser65’s Full Rating Summary