3. Mariner of the Seas
This cruise was a comp from M Life that we booked in May. I was a little hesitant based on some of the negative reviews and the fact that the ship is 15 years old. I am happy to say that I was wrong in my hastily preconceived notions. The embarkation was less than 10 minutes long which was incredible. The new Terminal A was brand-spanking new and glorious. We stayed in cabin 8248 which functioned without any glitches. Our steward was a very nice young male named Francis who had a good attitude and was eager to help. I ordered chocolate-covered strawberries for my fiancée and non-alcoholic sparkling wine, which we enjoyed on the 12th deck while the ship was pulling out. This was my 5th cruise and leaving port never gets old. We dined in the main dining room the first night and unfortunately they were not prepared for my vegan fiancée, but they were pleasant and tried their best to accommodate her. We were seated at section 222 and a very pleasant young Chinese woman named Xoieau (unsure of the spelling) was very sweet and helpful. I ordered the surf and turf for which I had to pay extra. The steak was great but the lobster was tiny. We dined the second night at Chops Grille and again there was some misunderstanding and miscommunication about a previously planned vegan menu for my fiancée. She wound up eschewing their menu due to confusion and just settled on a baked potato and vegetables, which she usually has at steakhouses back in the states. The 3rd night we dined at Jamie Oliver's which we highly recommend. I had the mushroom tagliatelle which was divine and my fiancée had penne Pomodoro which was great. The final night we dined at Izumi hibachi restaurant. I thought it was good but my fiancée thought the Filipino chef was a bit sloppy and dirty compared to other chefs. I thought his routine was amusing until I noticed all the other chefs had the same routine. The casino video poker machines were disappointing until the last night when I won all my money back. The casino personnel were all very good and the dealers had a great sense of humor. The problem with the casino wasn't the machines or the dealers--it was the players who interrupt a good run on blackjack without asking if they could join the game or players who just don't know how to play. The casino hosts were outstanding--they left a bowl of fruit one day for us and on the last night left a bottle of wine. On our second day we went to the Blue Lagoon Island. The boat ride was entertaining as the crew of the boat tried to lighten up the crowd. The blue lagoon island was a very nice, quiet, peaceful diversion. We initially were at the lagoon until we recognized the ocean on the other side. The lunch was standard American fare but they did have a veggie burger for my fiancée. I have to say that all of the bartenders were amazing. My fiancée does not drink alcohol but I am a martini drinker. Every one of them knows how to make a proper dry martini, which is more that I can say for some professional bartenders on land. We did the water slide on the ship twice and for 2 middle-aged people we had a blast! The gym was well-equipped and busy on most of the days. The photo shop was so efficient that we selected our pics and paid for them within 10 minutes. The prints were ready at the specified time as well. We wanted to go ice skating but didn't manage to fit it in. We won the caricature quiz and got 2 pens. On the final night we went to the karaoke bar on the 14th deck which was fun. The weather was perfect for the first 3 days but on the last night there was a thunder storm and the crew handled everything perfectly. The debarkation was faster than the embarkation. It took longer to get an English-speaking Uber driver than to get on and off the ship combined. In conclusion, the ship is 15 years old and you wouldn't know that at all from the refurbishment. I would not hesitate to go on Mariner of the Seas again. The service was impeccable. We were made to feel special, and who doesn't want that? We can't wait for our next RC cruise!

Best cruise to date