3. Carnival Dream
My partner and I were very excited to travel on one of Carnival’s larger, “newer” ships. Our first cruise was Carnival Conquest in May 2017. This was a disappointment for both of us compared to Conquest. Dream seemed too large for its crew to cope with. Service was severely impersonal, though most crew was at least cordial. At embarkation, a person who I assume works for Carnival at the port of New Orleans was on a microphone trying to direct people, demanded to see my boarding pass over her microphone and chastised me for being behind another guest over the microphone to the entire queue of people outside. I was pretty embarrassed by her awful attitude. Then no porters were around to take our luggage that we could find. Microphone lady rushed us inside and we had to carry our suitcases on and wait with them for about 1.5 hours on in both the crowded boarding area and deck 3 before we could get our stateroom. Maintenance in certain areas like decks and pools was handled by one person in any area it appeared, so a lot of time elapsed between cleanings or upkeep. Only the port side Serenity deck whirlpool was “hot” for the entire cruise. The aft starboard whirlpool was temperate, and every other whirlpool was about 90° or lower. In the dining room, we were often left without certain items on the table and had to ask for the wait team to bring them to us, meals were badly cooked (very tough, over cooked prime rib one night), but we did have two really great servers on different teams. Upon returning to the ship at our last port, our cabin door’s lock died and couldn’t read our S&S cards. Guest services had to replace them, and then we returned when that didn’t work, and maintenance had to change batteries and reprogram twice, as first maintenance still had us locked out later when we left the room. Shows were fine. Only the 80’s Pop To the Max was outstanding, though. The cast couldn’t seem to stay on key in the other shows we went to. The comedians were pretty funny in the adult shows most nights, but the Burgundy lounge has many “blind spots,” where you can’t see the stage, so get there 30 minutes early for a decent seat. The laundry facility was alright for washing ($3, drying is free). The ironing boards and irons were a bit confusing and felt cheap/shoddy. Another guest had to give us a tip on how to use the iron as there were no instructions. For good things: air in the cabin worked well. A couple cool nights we had to use the heater for, and warm nights the AC worked fine. The cabin was good sized, and felt about as big as our interior cabin on Conquest, and bathroom was the same. Disembark was so much better than off Conquest in May 2017! Breezed right out through Customs with a quick check of ID’s. Our cruise director Alex was GREAT! Very friendly and fun. Always nice to see him around the ship when we were walking around. We didn’t do the LGBT mixer, but guests and staff we met seemed mostly friendly with us as a gay couple. So I would say it was an LGBT friendly environment.

Lots of disappointment

Carnival Dream Cruise Review by CruiserLucas

CruiserLucas’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Dream price drops

Interior
Cabin 4A 10215
Decent size, good air circulation. Lots of stoarage. Bring a power strip, though. We unplugged the TV to get an extra outlet.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins