• Cheers to 25 years: Celebrate with Us!
  • Find a Cruise
  • Deals
  • Excursions

Le Lyrial (Ponant) Review

-- / 5.0
Editor Rating
2 Awards

More on shore excursions than expected. Wonderful.

Review for Le Lyrial (Ponant) to Antarctica
Tasmanian Traveller
First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Sail Date: Nov 2018
Cabin:

I chose this trip because it offered 3 stops on South Georgia Island weather dependant and I felt there was a chance of at least getting one stop. As it happened we had five on shore excursions, one Zodiac cruise around a bay and another ship cruise down a Fjord so that exceeded my expectations. I loved a lot of things about the ship, and the customer service was exceptionally good. However there was room for improvement and I noted a few ideas on my evaluation form. It is essential I say that the trip exceeded my expectations in more ways that I could ever have anticipated. My nit-picking centred around the following items: I expected more lectures would be scheduled and that lectures would be presented by seasoned experts; I wished for inexpensive and ‘on tap’ internet access; French food, as offered, was a limited cuisine and I wished for flavours such as those from Asia, the Middle East and Africa; occasionally foods were overcooked and inedible (but there was always more to choose from); the staff didn’t understand the difference between vegan and vegetarian; and the free Antarctic jackets were badly designed with unshielded pockets so rain soaked into them.

Cabin Stateroom

The spaciousness of the cabin surprised and delighted me. But I travelled solo and so I can see it would have been rather claustrophobic for couples - but I realise that compared to the compared to some other ships run by competitors this was generously sized. I loved the amount of storage space and the tea and coffee facilities. I loved having my own private balcony. My housekeeper Rico was second to none - the housekeeping service was beyond excellent.

5 Helpful Votes