• Find a Cruise
  • Deals
  • Excursions
Le Lyrial (Ponant) Cruise Review

More on shore excursions than expected. Wonderful.

Le Lyrial (Ponant) Cruise Review by Tasmanian Traveller

• Sail Date: Nov 2018
  • Destination: Antarctica
  • Cabin Type: undefined

I chose this trip because it offered 3 stops on South Georgia Island weather dependant and I felt there was a chance of at least getting one stop. As it happened we had five on shore excursions, one Zodiac cruise around a bay and another ship cruise down a Fjord so that exceeded my expectations. I loved a lot of things about the ship, and the customer service was exceptionally good. However there was room for improvement and I noted a few ideas on my evaluation form. It is essential I say that the trip exceeded my expectations in more ways that I could ever have anticipated. My nit-picking centred around the following items: I expected more lectures would be scheduled and that lectures would be presented by seasoned experts; I wished for inexpensive and ‘on tap’ internet access; French food, as offered, was a limited cuisine and I wished for flavours such as those from Asia, the Middle East and Africa; occasionally foods were overcooked and inedible (but there was always more to choose from); the staff didn’t understand the difference between vegan and vegetarian; and the free Antarctic jackets were badly designed with unshielded pockets so rain soaked into them.

Tasmanian Traveller's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Stateroom 423

The spaciousness of the cabin surprised and delighted me. But I travelled solo and so I can see it would have been rather claustrophobic for couples - but I realise that compared to the compared to some other ships run by competitors this was generously sized. I loved the amount of storage space and the tea and coffee facilities. I loved having my own private balcony. My housekeeper Rico was second to none - the housekeeping service was beyond excellent.

Tasmanian Traveller