3. Norwegian Getaway
Being Platinum with NCL the last few years, we have looked first with them and secondly with Carnival. I got a great price on an inside cabin, which is all we normally go with anymore. Being retired, price is something we always look at first. The better the prices the more cruises we can take. The Getaway was the largest ship we have been on, which was somewhat of a concern. The boarding process was the slowest we have experienced in at least 5 years. There was a back up of traffic going to the terminal, due to some security problem we were told. So that made us start off with a pretty good delay before we ever got to the ship. Once there, it was again a long wait. Just when we thought we were getting somewhere, we would turn a corner and see long lines ahead of us. When we got where we could see people being checked in, we looked for the Platinum check in line and were directed away from it. The person at that point had no clue (or didn't care), which would be a recurring problem throughout the cruise. We watched as the people in front of us went through the long, winding, regular check in line, and we went to the Platinum line. There were so few people handling the Platinum line that the aforementioned people made it through and were checked in before us. So much for priority check in! The ship was overall, in good condition and not a problem. Some wear is apparent on chairs and other things, but nothing we were concerned about. We had cabin 9403 which was all the way in the front of the ship. The storage space was small and really seems poorly designed, but we managed ok. The bed was very good and I had no back issues, which I sometimes have had. Didn't need to ask for the foam egg carton pad. The bathroom seemed larger than many we have had in the past. We could actually both fit in it. Unlike many where you had to wait for your spouse to come out first before going in. The food was for the most part very good. We ate at the buffet for breakfast and lunch most days. My wife and I are not very picky and if you are, you probably won't be happy with the breakfast buffet. It's a buffet! Things are sitting there for awhile unless you go get the eggs done at the omelet station, which never had too long a line. I opted for that a couple of times. MDRs were fine with us on most of the nights. We preferred the Tropicana for its ambiance and went back there after going to the Savor one night. The only really bad thing we had for dinner was a strip steak off the everyday menu that was not worth eating. I didn't. Otherwise I had some good fish, my wife had some good beef dishes and we tried to find something on the dessert menu we liked. My go to, is ice cream. It never disappoints. We did Cagney's one night where my wife had a rib-eye that was outstanding. I got the filet (we share) which had an usual flavor and was not anywhere as good as the rib-eye. Also did Moderno, which has a good salad bar, but why no hard boiled egg? Most truly upscale restaurants have it on the salad bars. The food was good here, but service was lacking. We had a good waitress, but the ones delivering the different meats were hit or miss and too often a miss. I got the feeling that since we were not paying extra for the specialty restaurants (Platinum perks) we were not getting as much attention as others. Bottom line, we enjoy cruising. Some are just better than others. Best entertainment on any of our 32 cruises, but not best overall.

Million Dollar Quartet was the Cruise Highlight!

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Jimmycee