• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals

Norwegian Breakaway Review

Editor Rating
2 Awards

Nice ship, but could use improvement in some areas

Review for Norwegian Breakaway to the Southern Caribbean
Koala_D
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Dec 2018
Cabin: Balcony Stateroom

It was a good price for a 10 day cruise and I thought I'd give the big ships a try. I had only had one other "big ship" cruise on the Epic that was terrible.

The room was nice, but I didn't find the brown carpet very cheerful. Our room steward was terrible. Room was dirty and things were not refilled/replaced. Quality of the room stewards seemed to go downhill immediately after NCL began the "automatic gratuities". Up til then our room stewards had always been excellent and friendly.

Entertainment was not good for a ship like this. I expected much better, and often you couldn't even get into a show unless you arrived AT LEAST 30 minutes early and stood in long lines.

Balcony Stateroom

Cabin BC

Handicap cabin... very roomy but NO shelves for anything in the bathroom. Ample closet space in the main part of cabin. Nice balcony. Lumpy bed. Needs a better space for coffee maker and food items. There was not a big enough shelf to set a room service tray down-- had to go on the bed!

Port Reviews

New Orleans

Saw a LOT! Surprised how much this tour had to offer... plus a stop for beignets at City Park... and a stop at a cemetary.

Cozumel

Liked the cacao and tequila places... and saw much of the island, too

Roatan

Too much time spent sitting at a restaurant. Boat was very small and viewing so-so. OK, but don't expect too much from this tour.

Harvest Caye

I was surprised. There is a lot to see... for free, and it is very clean. The manatee tour was sold out but we managed to book it after we were ashore.

Costa Maya

Guide not as good.... tour just ok. If you have nothing else to do you might like this.

Grand Cayman (Georgetown)

Cancelled

Ocho Rios

I liked the sky ride to the bobsled ride... about 15 minutes with nice views. The bobsled was fun, and anyone could do this. I'd recommend buying 2 more rides for $22 since the ride is only about 5 minutes. Dunn's River Falls was pretty but I think over-rated. I would do the bobsled and something else if you have seen other waterfalls.

Ocho Rios